Traffic Light Synchronization Downtown

Does anybody know what it is that causes the lights to get out of sync so often? It seems like it happens more than it should. Today, it seemed like half of Fannin was out of sync and then as a result so were a lot of cross streets. The impending traffic was heavier than usual

It seems like this shouldn't happen as much as it does. I know McGowen in Midtown is almost always out of sync. I know we can report it through 311, but what even messes it all up so often?

My understanding is that the computer(s) that control the signals are easily affected by power fluctuations and, when they get disrupted, reset themselves (or blink yellow/red). The lights in downtown proper are peculiar in that when they work, they work well. When they don't, it appears that every other light (at least on Smith and Louisiana) is out of sync. Wish I knew why that is!

Midtown cross-town lights are a different story. I think that Elgin and McGowen worked for like two weeks last year. Since then they appear totally random. I have called 311 more times than I care to think about. Perhaps these are old signal boxes that can't be reliably set?

Archived