Alabama St. At Almeda Rd.

Boris

Midtown Eyed for Transit-Oriented Project

By Amy Wolff Sorter

Midtown Site

HOUSTON-A four-acre parcel owned by a family in Midtown could become the future site of a transit-oriented development if suggestions from a recent Urban Land Institute technical assistance panel are implemented. Sources tell GlobeSt.com that the land tract, at Alabama Street and Almeda Road could become a mixed-use project with student housing, market-rate units and about 50,000 sf of retail.

http://www.globest.com/news/578_578/houston/146326-1.html

Would this 4-acres be in the southern quadrant (I guess you could call it the SE corner?) of the intersection of Alabama and Almeda? I noticed a month or two ago from 288/59 that a few blocks in that area were cleared.

If that's to be "transit-oriented" development, which I assume to mean rail, can we also assume that the Universities line is now slated to go down Alabama? That would allow the rail to hit HCC, TSU and UH (or within a block or two of TSU, at least). If the alignment continued down Alabama to the west, it would also hit UST (although a Richmond alignment in that area would get you within a block or two of UST).

Am I reading too much into this article?

Would this 4-acres be in the southern quadrant (I guess you could call it the SE corner?) of the intersection of Alabama and Almeda? I noticed a month or two ago from 288/59 that a few blocks in that area were cleared.

If that's to be "transit-oriented" development, which I assume to mean rail, can we also assume that the Universities line is now slated to go down Alabama? That would allow the rail to hit HCC, TSU and UH (or within a block or two of TSU, at least). If the alignment continued down Alabama to the west, it would also hit UST (although a Richmond alignment in that area would get you within a block or two of UST).

Am I reading too much into this article?

I noticed that as well a few weeks ago, but i was under the impression it was going to be a new townhouse development project.......

midtown has become the 'land of possibilities and ideas.'

Midtown Eyed for Transit-Oriented Project

HOUSTON-A four-acre parcel owned by a family in Midtown could become the future site of a transit-oriented development if suggestions from a recent Urban Land Institute technical assistance panel are implemented. Sources tell GlobeSt.com that the land tract, at Alabama Street and Almeda Road could become a mixed-use project with student housing, market-rate units and about 50,000 sf of retail.

"Being the home of energy, people in the know understand that Houston's got to have an urban core," says Gary Altergott, a principal with Morris Architects' Houston office and chairman of ULI panel. "Transit is one way to encourage that development. Real estate development around transit has a 10 to 15% greater value than real estate in other areas."

four acres

• 1 month later...
midtown has become the 'land of possibilities and ideas.'

four acres

Plan to attend this event currently happening in Midtown.

=======================

ENSEMBLE/HCC Tomorrow

Redevelopment Workshop Schedule

When: July 11-13, 2006

Where: Trinity Church (1015 Holman St. at Main)

Participate in the entire agenda or drop in for portions.

Tuesday, July 11

6:30 - 8:30 pm

Kick-off

• The title was changed to Possible New Development In Midtown
  • The title was changed to Alabama St. At Almeda Rd.

Archived