Please Help Me Out

What it is everyone! :) I really need a guiding hand/some feedback on the northewest area of Houston between 1960 and the beltway (specifically around rankin rd/ella blvd area). I have been contemplating a move into the cranbrook subdivision for...a pretty good minute now but I just cant get up to date information on the area.

Really (or as my mom would say "Square Business") I just want a nice, safe, and overall positive eviroment for my kids. I want to be able to do something my dad couldn't...raise a family. Neighborhood looks pretty nice if I say so myself and it has nice homes that are within our price range (around $75k-$85k give or take a few) but recommendations are welcome.

ANY feedback/knowledge you have on the area will be greatly appreciated. Don't matter what it is, good or bad, just give it to me straight up.

Take care and have a blessed day...

My 2 cents:

Unfortunately I do not know the area you are referring to, but if I were moving into a neighborhood I did not know much about I would start off with a little research.

1. Spend hours driving the neighborhood at different times. Get a feel for the people morning, noon, and night. Check it out on the weekend when kids are playing outside. Look at the games the kids are playing. How do they react when you drive by (if they throw rocks- that is a bad sign).

2. Find out the schools your kids would be attending and do as much research on those schools as you can. There are so many websites out there that rank schools, give the ethnic buildup, measure teachers standards and show test score averages.

3. Do the same research with crime in the area. HPD (assuming it is in their jurisdiction) has a comprehensive crime statisitics data base online by zip code, street name, neighborhood etc.

4. Try and meet some people that live in the neighborhood and get an idea of their thoughts

5. This may be difficult, but find out when the neighborhood HOA meets and check out a meeting. I find that you hear about a lot of the real issues at these meetings.

Sorry I could not be more specific about the exact neighborhood. The Internet is a wonderful thing and you should be able to find as much information as you need.

Safety is hard to buy at any price. Honestly, people = crime. Check into everything but know that things change over time. You're right to check...by being a concerned parent and an active citizen you can help make the best of any situation.

If the homeowner's association or civic association is active, that is a good sign.

The crime stats don't show a whole picture. They show reported incidents. More reported incidents could mean more crime or more reported crime -- since nowhere is crime free, the reporting may mean a concerned citizenry -- that could be better than a group of apathetic citizens who report nothing and look good on paper. So, check it out with that in mind.

Edited by lilyheights

How important is diversity to you? If it's not that important to you, I would steer clear of Cranbrook and surrounding areas, and head for some areas which are safer but still within your price range. I would head farther north, personally. It's not easy raising African-American children in predominantly Caucasian neighborhoods or schools (and I have some personal experience along these lines) because they're going to struggle with prejudice and self-image, but your kids will receive better educations, will be in safer and more productive environments, and will be better prepared for success in life. The founder of a successful charter school for African Americans in Harlem described it along these lines of: "middle class schools have teachers who know how to teach, who care about their students, and who prepare them for the future". If you want your kids to have a better life than you had, then I suggest getting them in the best public schools that you can possibly afford, and then teach your kids to try to assimilate as best as possible and make the most of those opportunities. Good luck and God bless.

I don't see a lot of appreciation potential for that area. IMO the area would only appeal to a narrow audience that is likely to shrink over the next few years rather than grow.

It will have to appeal to people who don't care about living that close in, but aren't intimidated by the large concentration of nearby apartment complexes. Typically people move to suburbia to get the good schools, the newer houses, and lower crime, or at least their perceptions of what constitutes those things. I'm sure there are other reasons, but those things are usually in the equation. I don't see that area appealing to that audience. Then who will it appeal to over the next few years? Only people willing to live in an area surrounded by a glut of declining apartments in aging homes just this side of a better rated school district.

If you want to know how that combination works out you need look no further than the first ring suburbs that have been through this cycle before. Many have started to recover as their locations have gone from being considered on the outskirts of town to being considered closer in, inner-loop alternatives. Spring Branch, Glenbrook Valley, Westbury, Willow Bend, etc. Others, such as Sharpstown, are still waiting on the next "upward cycle." I don't see Rankin Road being considered "close in" anytime soon though.

No warranties express or implied on whether that cycle will repeat itself in Cranbrook, or along what time-table, but it is one to think about.

Yeah that might be better but when have you seen a house for sale in TW for $75-$85?

A better bet would probably be some of the older neighborhoods in Cypress. That's the perfect price range.

Not a whole lot in that price range in Cypress either, but here's a nice Woodlands special...right next to Mom22 and the other Woodlands trolls (always happy to troll over to other boards and let you know how much they love the Woodlands...you figure if they love it so much, you really ought to check the Woodlands out for yourself. I'm sure Mom will be happy to roll out the welcome mat...)

http://search.har.com/engine/indexdetail.c...=0&backButton=Y

Destined to appreciate due to the 'Town Center' effect.

Edited by mrfootball

I can't really say what would be better.

From my experience in subburbia, getting a good or bad neighbor is simply a roll of the dice. Some of the advice given here is sound, visiting the neighborhood at various times of day is a solid idea. But that doesn't mean you're going to wind up in the perfect neighborhood.

I lived in the Harvest Bend subdivision by Windfern and BW8 and while the majority of the neighbors were great people, had a very low crime rate, but we did come across some "white trash" that happen to live there and ruined a bit of the subburbia experience.

While that was not the main factor why I left the 'burbs, it was something I thought about time and again.

As someone had mentioned, crime stats don't tell the entire story.

Actually Mr. Football I would like to set you straight on some facts.

If you have paid attention to my posts (which obviously you haven't) I don't live in TW. I live between Tomball and TW in Montgomery County.

I am planning to move to TW in about 4 years when I can pay straight cash for a house.

And yes, you can find houses in the $70's in Cypress (Try Bonaire/Meisterwood). I lived there for 12 years and currently manage the property for my dad there. I was just there yesterday.

Oh and about your link.....most homes in TW aren't in PC. (or in that price range)

What exactly did I post that set you off so much?

Geez......

Edited by Mom22Blessings

I pretty much figured Bonaire. It's the lowest rent (90's to 120's) neighborhood in Cypress and would be the reason you have such a distorted view of the area. That part of Cypress is the 'Oak Ridge' of the Cypress area. Just as the older homes in and around Rayford-Sawdust are the lowest rent neighborhoods in The Woodlands.

Edited by mrfootball

Yeah but all I was saying is that the OP can still buy in the area for well under 90K. I know those neighborhoods (CC, ST, LW, etc) are newer and nicer but that wasn't what he was wanting information on. There was no "lumping together" needed nor was it ever implied.

BTW - those "Oak Ridge" neighborhoods are still really great and family friendly. I wouldn't consider OR bad anytime of the day anyways.

• The title was changed to Please Help Me Out