Madison, Wisconsin

After being in Madison, I can see why it is rated highly in places to live. Absolutely a beautiful city, with downtown situated on an isthmus between two glacial-formed lakes, Menona and Mendota. Streets have trees lining them everywhere. I took about 500 photos this weekend, so here are a fewto get you started:

Let's start at the Allen Centennial Gardens, run by the Horticulture Department at the University of Wisconsin:

AllenGardens.jpg

The Washburn Astronomical Observatory at UW:

WashburnObservatory.jpg

The view from the rooftop of the Convention Center:

RooftopPano.jpg

Dome of the Wisconsin Capitol Building:

Dome.jpg

The dome from inside the rotunda:

InsideDome.jpg

Madison is a very progressive/liberal minded city, where free speech is alive and well. The next two photos demonstrate that. They were taken at a farmers market/street fair going on Saturday on Capitol Square.

The one reminded me of Elton John's "Tiny Dancer". "Jesus freaks, out in the street, handing tickets out for God."

JCFreaks.jpg

Then there were the Veterans for Peace, calling for the impeachment of President Bush:

Veterans4Peace.jpg

Peruvian music with the guitar and pan flute filled the air:

StreetMusic.jpg

Here we have Freethought Hall, headquarters of the Freedom From Religion Foundation, a watchdog and advocacy group that works to maintain the separation of church and government:

FFRF.jpg

The main building at the Botanical Garden:

Botanical.jpg

Enjoy! As always, I own copyright on these, so if you want to use for any reason, get my permission first.

Thanks.

Nice pics.

Good shout out to Madison, where I spent five glorious years as an undergrad. Top ten public school, #1 party school, university intregrated into the community, and truly a great place to raise a family. I'll be married two blocks from the capitol in just three months. Just an incredible city to live, work, and play for all ages.

I did 18 months in Wisconsin, and visited Madison a few times.

Hated it every time.

I think of Madison as Austin with more cheese. You could probably swap the two towns and no one would notice. Some day I'll sit down and try to figure out why I don't like either Madison or Austin.

I did 18 months in Wisconsin, and visited Madison a few times.

Hated it every time.

I think of Madison as Austin with more cheese. You could probably swap the two towns and no one would notice. Some day I'll sit down and try to figure out why I don't like either Madison or Austin.

See, you would probably like Houston or Milwaukee more. It's a matter of opinion.

Everyone likes to compare Madison and Austin (Madison/Austin is the Austin/Madison of the north/south) but the fact is that Austin is 3 or 4 times bigger than Madison so it's really hard to compare. It's a little like comparing, oh, I don't know, Houston and NYC. Could you swap those two without anyone noticing?

Archived