Areas of Houston to Live In?

Just wondering what are some nice areas of Houston to live in other than inside the loop??

Depends on your particular tastes.

The Houston region is at the crossroads of a number of environmental zones...do you have a particular affinity for pine trees? If so, then the northern and northwestern suburbs are nice areas. Although easily overlooked, I'd personally lean more toward the northeast if you want pine trees...the commute into downtown via the Eastex Freeway is very easy. If you like coastal prairie, look in Friendswood (fairly good prices), Pearland, Katy, and Sugar Land.

If you like living near water, then you've got a few options, most of which depend upon your tolerance of heavy industry and your preferences regarding that your neighborhood be 'new'. Clear Lake, League City, Kingwood, Atascocita, Highlands, La Porte, Morgan's Point, and Baytown are your primary options.

Prefer something multicultural? Try Alief/Sharpstown and points west.

And of course, if you like uber wealth, look no further than Memorial, West U, or Bellaire.

If you can better define "nice", I think that us HAIFers can point you in the right direction.

Edited by TheNiche

Garden Oaks is very nice with large lots and towering pine trees. Located just outside the 610 loop, going north of Shepherd.

But would it be in her price range given that she's looking for an apartment and has a $600 cap (if they can provide utilities)?

Depends on your particular tastes.

The Houston region is at the crossroads of a number of environmental zones...do you have a particular affinity for pine trees? If so, then the northern and northwestern suburbs are nice areas. Although easily overlooked, I'd personally lean more toward the northeast if you want pine trees...the commute into downtown via the Eastex Freeway is very easy. If you like coastal prairie, look in Friendswood (fairly good prices), Pearland, Katy, and Sugar Land.

If you like living near water, then you've got a few options, most of which depend upon your tolerance of heavy industry and your preferences regarding that your neighborhood be 'new'. Clear Lake, League City, Kingwood, Atascocita, Highlands, La Porte, Morgan's Point, and Baytown are your primary options.

Prefer something multicultural? Try Alief/Sharpstown and points west.

And of course, if you like uber wealth, look no further than Memorial, West U, or Bellaire.

If you can better define "nice", I think that us HAIFers can point you in the right direction.

nice post. :D

• 3 weeks later...

we're actually considering a move to the houston area. we've visited 3 summers in a row to look at some areas and we loved the south shore area in league city/kemah. we're from california and it reminded us a little of home with palm trees and somewhat like a beach community, except affordable. we drove through the neighborhood and people actually waved at us, we were pleasantly surprised, very family friendly neighborhoods. good luck with your search, visit the kemah boardwalk it's a fun place to visit.

I think TheNiche had it best. Northeast Houston is real nice. Other than the Katy Area, I would live up there. My parents wanted to stay west, so thats what we did. Also, they like Katy I.S.D., so that was a factor.

I would say try out west with Katy/Sugar Land, and Northeast Houston (Summerwood, Fall Creek, Eagle Springs).

• 3 weeks later...
we're actually considering a move to the houston area. we've visited 3 summers in a row to look at some areas and we loved the south shore area in league city/kemah. we're from california and it reminded us a little of home with palm trees and somewhat like a beach community, except affordable. we drove through the neighborhood and people actually waved at us, we were pleasantly surprised, very family friendly neighborhoods. good luck with your search, visit the kemah boardwalk it's a fun place to visit.

I'm actually selling my waterfront home in a South Shore Harbour community, and it's less than 18 months old. (Got a job way up on the northside and I can't handle the drive anymore). Brand new neighborhood (South Bay Village).. I was actually the second house built in it. I don't think I can post a link to the listing here, but if you want to drop me an email about it I'll be happy to send you the link. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Just wondering what are some nice areas of Houston to live in other than inside the loop??

We are actually selling a house in Greenwood Forest...between Hwy 249 & Steubner Airline .....right off 1960...(near Willowbrook Mall).....Champions Forest Drive goes through the neighborhood. About 5-10 minutes to the Beltway. It is very convenient to shopping, hospital, etc yet very quiet neighborhood. Can't post link here but glad to send you info if interested.

RLong

http://www.mynsp.com/livewell5055/index.aspx