Possible Townhome Development

Hi, This is a GREAT group, BTW!

I'm thinking of developing 3 or 4 town homes on my lot close in to Houston with the purpose of living in one of them myself. I'm in the process of determining the advantages and disadvantages of actual "town homes" with shared walls, and zero lot line homes (plus what will feasibly fit on my lot). I have a few questions:

1. What's the best way to determine height restriction for my area? When I FINALLY got through to Public Works at City Hall, the woman who answered gave me a blanket "there are no restrictions" without even knowing what area I was calling from, so I tend to doubt what she says. Is it better to go there in person? What should I look for/ask for as tangible "proof

Maybe the reason no one has responded is because no one knows the answers.

However, with regard to Question 2, I think that would be a bad idea. If something goes wrong with the buyer's home, who do you think they are going to look to first for assistance or to complain? A repair person or the person who sold them their house who just so happens to live next door? I could envision a lot of bad-neighbor problems down the road....especially if the house you sold them turns out to not be very well constructed.

With regard to Question 3, as interest rates rise, the housing market will slow down...for both new and resale homes. Unless you like going blindly into things, I would give serious consideration to where you believe interest rates are headed and then plan accordingly.

1. What's the best way to determine height restriction for my area? When I FINALLY got through to Public Works at City Hall, the woman who answered gave me a blanket "there are no restrictions" without even knowing what area I was calling from, so I tend to doubt what she says. Is it better to go there in person? What should I look for/ask for as tangible "proof

Usually there isn't a height restriction. I wouldn't go over 3 stories personally.

I built my first development and moved into one of the units. Its a great way to save money on capitol gain taxes by living in for a couple years.

Homes are really moving right now. I don't think rate hikes will effect us that much. That being said, "experts" are often wrong.

If possible I like to do patio homes. People like that more than having a common wall. But like you say, sometimes space is an issue and you have to share.

How big is your property? What part of town? What price range are you looking for?

I'm thinking of developing 3 or 4 town homes on my lot close in to Houston with the purpose of living in one of them myself. I'm in the process of determining the advantages and disadvantages of actual "town homes" with shared walls, and zero lot line homes (plus what will feasibly fit on my lot). I have a few questions:

• 2 weeks later...
Usually there isn't a height restriction. I wouldn't go over 3 stories personally.

I built my first development and moved into one of the units. Its a great way to save money on capitol gain taxes by living in for a couple years.

Homes are really moving right now. I don't think rate hikes will effect us that much. That being said, "experts" are often wrong.

If possible I like to do patio homes. People like that more than having a common wall. But like you say, sometimes space is an issue and you have to share.

How big is your property? What part of town? What price range are you looking for?

jscarbor: How did you deal with the people you sold units to if they had complaints about the home? Also, did you offer home warranties? I'm not sure how to do that.

My property is 1/4 acre and in the area are some duplexes and zero-lot sf homes. They go from mid 200k to mid 300k. And 4-5 streets over similar homes go into 500k+. I'm figuring mine would be more in the 2-300k range

jscarbor: How did you deal with the people you sold units to if they had complaints about the home? Also, did you offer home warranties? I'm not sure how to do that.

My property is 1/4 acre and in the area are some duplexes and zero-lot sf homes. They go from mid 200k to mid 300k. And 4-5 streets over similar homes go into 500k+. I'm figuring mine would be more in the 2-300k range

If you are serious about a project you will need to spend time with an architect and an attorney. It will take a substantial upfront investment.

I warrantied myself. I have had some issues but nothing major. You can sign up with warranty companies like 2-10 warranty to assisit. The best thing to do is get third party inspections to help ensure everything is done properly.

• The title was changed to Possible Townhome Development