Alpine, TX

mrfootball

Admittedly, the new PBS show "Texas Ranch House" has picqued my interest about the Alpine, Texas area.

It's quite beautiful from the pictures. Quite different from the Texas we're used to...yet somehow fitting the Hollywood image of Texas and the Old West. Anyone been there?

18jul02-davis4-m.jpg

Admittedly, the new PBS show "Texas Ranch House" has picqued my interest about the Alpine, Texas area.

It's quite beautiful from the pictures. Quite different from the Texas we're used to...yet somehow fitting the Hollywood image of Texas and the Old West. Anyone been there?

I was out there about a year and a half ago and thoroughly enjoyed hiking to and camping at the peak of a mountain at Davis Mountains State Park. I passed through Alpine on my way back to Houston.

My impression of the town was that it was a little less vibrant than most small college towns, but it certainly had its quaint spots. Sul Ross University sticks out like a sore thumb.

The scenery was very much like what you showed in the photo, especially near Fort Davis...although I don't recall the highway rights-of-way having so much green grass. One of the strange tales from that trip was that on the way back home, I stopped at a sandstone rock cut along Highway 90 because it looked like it'd have some good rocks for my mantle. What I found scattered along the side of the road was later identified as processed uranium yellow cake, I figure from a uranium mining facility in west Texas.

Anyone been there?

Only about a hundred times...

Alpine has become much more upscale over the last decade, but its snootiness pales in comparison to its neighbor Marfa.

I used to enjoy spending time in Alpine. Nowadays I only stop in Alpine long enough to get groceries and a stop at Alicia's Burrito Place. I'd rather be down on the river...in the park or over near Ruidosa.

• The title was changed to Alpine, TX

Archived