Bring Yer Bagpipes!

mrfootball

Cypress resident James Thomas has long been a fan of Celtic culture. The "I love Scots" screensaver that dances across the screen of his PC might be the first clue.

"I've been into this stuff for as long as I can remember," he said. "I have a bit of Scottish ancestry, but even if I didn't, I would still find the culture fascinating."

Thomas' love for all things Celtic is apparent as he discusses Houston's upcoming Scottish Highland Games and Celtic Festival, held at the Houston Farm & Ranch Club near Highway 6 and Clay Road.

"I only heard about it two years ago," Thomas said. "And I've been addicted ever since."

The Houston Highland Games Association provides a forum and stage for exhibition and informational purposes in a spirit of cooperative endeavor for the seven Celtic nations of Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Cornwall, Brittany, Galicia, and the Isle of Man. Scottish clan representatives set up tents where the general public has an opportunity to research family history and establish links with their ancestral past. The festival also provides a commercial opportunity for both the vendor and those searching for Celtic wares.

Festival official Carol Robertson has been involved in festival activities for the past four years.

"I have to admit that the best part of our festival is that people have an opportunity to be entertained by such a variety of things," she said. "We have authentic food, highland dancing, and music. Just about everything you can imagine."

Now in its 35th year, the festival will take place May 13 and 14 at the Houston Farm & Ranch Club, located at 1 Abercrombie Street and Highway 6 near Clay Road.

This year the Celtic musical entertainment will include Glengarry Bhoys from Ontario, Canada. Other performers will include: NeedFire, Tartanic, Ed Miller and Sarah Dinan. There will be piping, drumming, Scottish harp, Scottish Highland dancing, men's athletic competitions and sheepherding.

Gates will open at 9 a.m. and admission is $12 for adults on Saturday, and $10 for adults on Sunday; seniors and students with ID are $7; children $5. The festival will be held rain or shine, and parking is free. For more information on this event, visit their Web site at www.houstonhighlandgames.com.

"It's a good time," Robertson said. "We would love to see everyone make it out."

Comments about this article can be sent to allewellyn@hcnonline.com.

Edited by mrfootball

If ye really enjoy piping and highland games.. I suggest you go to the Salado Highland games held every November. Definately the biggest games in-state every year. Better weather, and they take over the entire town for a weekend.. its a great atmosphere.

Though the timing is better for these games in that the good bands are gearing up for Worlds Competition in August.

blown-kilt.jpg