I Wish I Had Never Known

Two 36 story towers!!! :angry2:

Lines in sand: Columbia, S.C.-based Drake Development said it can't go forward with plans to build two 36-story condominium towers on East Beach until it gets a clear title to the land...

http://galvestondailynews.com/bizbuzz.lasso

Jason:

Could have told you that Hytken had the land locked up, but didn't want to poo poo another project. Just like the Porrettos will never sell their land, this guy can't get out from under his land b/c he and his wife are locked up in a horrible divorce and the land value is central to the dispute.

Cory Minor over by the Porrettos may actually get something done on his little piece, but it will be something much smaller that what he is pubicly announcing. He is swinging for the fences for a high rise with the hopes that the city will relent and give him approval for something smaller. ANYTHING is a victory and if they give him half of what he requests, he will be a wealthy guy. Although, he doesn't have the wherewithall to pull it off. The very second he gets approval, he will be out shopping it to JV partners.

lastly, the Sullivan boys down at Evia seem to know what they're doing on the lot development at 95th and the bay. Well funded, 6th generation BOI, good mix. Watch them. They will be forces with which to be reckoned before it's all over. Mark my words.

That's all i've got for now on Galveston.

Now off to my real job.

TNJ

• 5 months later...
Thanks J.A.S.O.N. You brought the goods. I happened on it in the Chron this morning and posted a new thread, not realizing this was the "I Wish I'd Never Known" post. :D Anyhow, now we can get excited about this new highrise in our Island playground. Thanks. You always have some great news for HAIFers. B)

Sorry for the title mix up. From now on I'll make the title more topic specific :blush:

If they keep it up, I wonder if Galveston could claim it eminent domain?

Nope. Although the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that municipalities can claim eminent domain for economic development projects (a.k.a. whims of fancy), the states still have the power to impose restrictions to that freedom on constituent jurisdictions. The State of Texas promptly made eminent domain in such cases explicitly illegal. Otherwise, the City of Freeport would have its marina on the Old Brazos well under construction by now.

I haven't been to Galveston often, so I'm not familiar with the city's layout - But judging from the map, the condo towers will seem somewhat isolated.

The towers would be zoned to Galveston ISD (Rosenberg Elementary School, Austin Middle School, and Ball High School) when they are built. This means more money but less kids (due to rising property values) for the district...

Nope. Although the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that municipalities can claim eminent domain for economic development projects (a.k.a. whims of fancy), the states still have the power to impose restrictions to that freedom on constituent jurisdictions. The State of Texas promptly made eminent domain in such cases explicitly illegal. Otherwise, the City of Freeport would have its marina on the Old Brazos well under construction by now.

I remember that, they were trying to take that gentleman's property who had installed bulkheads and reinforced the whole shoreline at his own expense, and the city tried to deem it unsafe. I am definately against eminent domain. I know Govts. try to do it all the time. I just saw a case in New Jersey I believe, where a family had been on their farm since 1720 or so, and the state came in and snatched it.

Archived