A Natural Utopia?

So we've heard all our lives that people in small towns benefit from "fresh air", and because of it become decent, honest, God-fearing and productive citizens. While the dwellers in the "urban slums", ingesting smog that perverts the mind, body, and soul, become reduced to wanton, craven, desperate beasts prone to clawing their way to lives of crime and corruption. Is there any truth to this?

Let's take The Woodlands, for example. And let's compare it to a "control group" of a comparable new suburban community that hasn't done anything to preserve the natural environment: for example Cinco Ranch in Katy. In Cinco Ranch, there is a twig stuck in the middle of each lawn, and that's it for trees.

So is the littering any less in The Woodlands? How about the crime? How about the overall mental health of the residents? Is the average blood pressure any lower? The fertility rate any higher? Are there any human effects whatsoever of this natural environment, this utopia of fresh air, songbirds and racoons frolicking? Are the little tykes peddling along the bike paths more prone to become Senators than their counterparts gloomily bouncing a rubber ball on the oceans of asphalt?

(You answers should be typed, double-spaced, and submitted by the end of the semester to receive full credit for this course.) :)

Well, I do think a child has more of a chance to become a Senator if given a good education versus struggling not to get killed in an inner city school.

But other than educational opportunities, there are few differences between the outcomes of urban vs suburban life.

I happen to see MORE stress in the families up here than I did in town. Long commutes, excessive fast food restaurants, stress on being the perfect team mom, and financial over extension etc etc etc. I've never heard so many women delicate flower about their husbands in my life!

The crime rate is better up here, however there is minimal police coverage and the city is fast approaching. Preserving the environment has been thrown out the window in order to make a fast profit. It is however cleaner up here, but then EXCESSIVE association fees (that are not tax deductible) are paid to insure that.

Well, I do think a child has more of a chance to become a Senator if given a good education versus struggling not to get killed in an inner city school.

Inner city schools can provide a great education -- just like suburban schools can provide a poor education. Every school is different, of course. My child is getting a top-notch education in HISD -- and he hasn't been shot once. :)

He walks to school, plays little league, rides his bike on good streets with his friends. We live near (and visit often) the museums and downtown. See concerts, etc.

There are advantages and disadvantages, like everything else. If the parents are happy where they are and make the most of it, the kids will be happy.

Archived