Toll Roads In Texas

Rehan

I know there are quite a few people up in arms, especially in Austin, about the new push for tollroads.

I was just wondering...Has anyone ever driven through Oklahoma? There are tollroads all over that state. In some cases its almost the only way to get from one city to another.

I'm all for keeping pre-exisitng freeways free, but if tollways are the only way to increase infrastructure in Texas, then I'm all for that too.

I'm not really trying to make a point, but I think some people may have been spoiled by never having to pay to drive before.

Usually, once the government starts charging tolls, they rely on them forever as a source of revenue. Also, the Austin tollroads will be operated by private contractors, and the concern there is that the roads will be designed to force people onto them.

Connecticut is the only state I've ever heard of that actually took down the toll booths. I-95 used to be the Connecticut Turnpike. When the booths went up the state promised that they would only remain until the road was paid for. I've heard other states make the same promise and fail to live up to it. But some time in the 90's, Connecticut actually lived up to its promise. I was floored.

Connecticut is the only state I've ever heard of that actually took down the toll booths.  I-95 used to be the Connecticut Turnpike.  When the booths went up the state promised that they would only remain until the road was paid for.  I've heard other states make the same promise and fail to live up to it.  But some time in the 90's, Connecticut actually lived up to its promise.  I was floored.

I believe Dallas did the same thing with a Toll on I-30 that connected Fort Worth to Dallas.....

You can tell it used to be a toll because of the limited access and how the ramps are designed.

• 1 month later...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HoustonChronicle.com -- http://www.HoustonChronicle.com | Section: Front page

Planners put brakes on Texas 249 toll road!

Tomball Parkway will include free lanes in the mix

By RAD SALLEE, 10/11/04, Houston Chronicle

State highway planners said Monday that they have abandoned an unpopular proposal to convert an eight-mile segment of Texas 249, the Tomball Parkway, into a toll road to pay for extending it northward.

Instead, they told 30 officials, residents and business owners from northwest Harris County that other funding options will be considered, including a mix of free and tolled lanes such as those being built on the Katy Freeway and possible private sector involvement.

Bruce Hillegeist, president of the Tomball Area Chamber of Commerce, said the announcement by Gary Trietsch, district engineer for the Texas Department of Transportation, helps allay concerns that a toll road would harm "the vitality and growth of our businesses."

"I was educated," Hillegeist said after Texas Transportation Commission Chairman Ric Williamson explained the financial realities of road building.

Tim Aimone, of Hewlett-Packard, a major employer in the area, said a proposal by County Judge Robert Eckels to use a mix of free lanes and Katy Freeway-style HOT lanes

I know there are quite a few people up in arms, especially in Austin, about the new push for tollroads.

I was just wondering...Has anyone ever driven through Oklahoma? There are tollroads all over that state. In some cases its almost the only way to get from one city to another.

I'm all for keeping pre-exisitng freeways free, but if tollways are the only way to increase infrastructure in Texas, then I'm all for that too.

I'm not really trying to make a point, but I think some people may have been spoiled by never having to pay to drive before.

I think the push for tollroads is great, provided the bonds are supported only by toll revenue. In other words, if the toll revenue is insufficient, the bond holders lose their money. This would ensure only roads with suitable projected demand be built. Tolls make the most of available land. People who have a pressing need to get through traffic can do so, while those of us whose time is less valuable can sit and stew in traffic :) The market is great at allocating resources.

People who have a pressing need to get through traffic can do so, while those of us whose time is less valuable can sit and stew in traffic :)

I agree. I have an eztag, but I only use it when I need to, otherwise I use alternative routes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toll option is not dead

Tomball leaders await outcome of state's study

By KIM JACKSON, Houston Chronicle

Tomball leaders are waiting to see what happens to a proposed section of Texas 249 after transportation officials abandoned a toll plan for Texas 249 south of Spring-Cypress Road.

Some community groups are opposed to a toll road in or around Tomball.

Others said they are waiting to see the results of the Texas Department of Transportation's Texas 249 study, which examines the possibility of building a Texas 249 toll road north of Spring Cypress Road.

Future toll revenues would repay loans or bonds sold to fund that Texas 249 extension project.

Janelle Gbur, spokeswoman for the Texas Department of Transportation, said the study on the 12-mile segment from Spring Cypress to Pinehurst

• The title was changed to Toll Roads In Texas