Moving To Houston Should It Be The Woodlands?

Moving2Houston

Hello,

I would appreciate all the feed back possible regarding my upcoming move.

My husband and I have been living overseas for the past 10 years. We are now moving to Houston for what looks like will be for the next 15 years.

As he will be working for ExxonMobil, he wants to live where the commute is not so painful as we know how the traffic can be in Houston.

People have mentioned areas such as The Woodlands, Lake Conroe, Fall Creek, I'm sure there ar many others.

We are not familiar at all with the areas,I've heard about The Woodlands and from what I've read it peaks my interest with the parks, woodlands and so forth. Also

having no friends or relatives around, thought it might be a little easier with this kind of environment for the me the wife.

I say this because the past 10 years I've lived in cities, not in the suburbs and know this has helped me while being away from friends and family back in The States.

There seems to be many areas within The Woodlands. Would certain areas be better than others? Are there areas that you would recommend/subdivisions? Are there areas near The Woodlands that might be less expensive but where new houses are being developed? Are there any other areas you would suggest that we look into??

As we're to move 1st of Dec., I would like to be able to narrow it down a bit before meeting up with a realtor, so that I may weigh out a few pros and cons. As it's such a large area and Dec. is rapidly approaching us, I'm trying to gain as much knowledge of this move as possible, as it's better now than after we move.

I know it's a lot of questions but as I'm feeling a little over whelmed just thinking about it, I would greatly appreciate any feedback you may be able to share.

The price range would be no more than $325,000 if that much, really not sure what prices are running. I seem to be finding a lot of older homes in this price range on the web for The Woodlands.

Thank You in advance for any information you might be able to share.

Kind Regards,

RS

Are you just interested in the suburbs, because in Houston you can get a pretty nice house for no more than 325,000. It might be more of an urban development, but to me it is worth it.

If you do not like long commutes into the inner city, the Woodlands would be a bad choice, even though it is a beautiful area. I am not trying to stray you away from yur choices, but I just want to give you the facts.

What area of town is ExxonMobil located in by the way?

Are you interested in town homes, single family homes, condos . . . . .?

exxon/mobil chemical headquarters are on the katy freeway. exxon/mobil corporation, exploration and production operations are on 800 Bell downtown houston.

moving2houston,

the following are links to key community information portals. the community associations can give a better idea about the woodlands than the main page aimed at sales. interfaith (and the trees) are what makes the woodlands different from other master planned communities.

http://www.thewoodlandsassociations.org/

http://www.thewoodlands.com/

http://www.thewoodlands.net/ (for residents: events, schools, news, etc.)

http://www.woodlandsinterfaith.org/ (core values that founded the woodlands originated here)

http://www.town-center.com/

if you are an empty nester there are several homes in the 300s being built right in the middle of town center. beware of these if you like it quiet, however. you'll have your choice of townhomes, patio homes, golf course/lake homes, lofts and garden homes elsewhere in this 27,000 acre community.

yes, there is a commute to houston; however, it's completely worth it (IMHO).

the woodlands has won numerous awards nationally and internationally for environmentally conscious planning. it's a great place to be.

It's a horrible commute from TW to most of those places. ExxonMobil has campuses throughout the city, notably Downtown, Greenway, and the Energy Corridor (Katy Freeway around Eldridge and Dairy Ashford area). If you want to live in the suburbs you need to be looking West. If it is Greenspoint, then the Woodlands would be a logical choice.

I disagree, I would suggest the Heights, a reverse commute would probably do wonders for them as well as being able to enjoy the theater and other entertainment areas around town.

Moving, What DO you consider entertainment and what would you consider a "reasonable" travel time to/from work as well as to/from the theater, movies, plays, sports.

Work is work, but allowing you to enjoy going out is also important.

Ricco.

You are on the right path... definitely go with The Woodlands. Nice neighborhoods, great amenities, a developing city center - and Houston just 28 miles down the road when you want access to the city. Its not a bad commute to the Greenspoint area, as you'll have access with either the Hardy Tollroad or Interstate 45.

Hey, I've lived in Spring and the traffic is getting out of control and the lack of planning and municipal guidance is really becoming apparent. I think The Woodlands would be a much better environment to live in, especially if you are planning to be there for a while. Its just a safer investment - you know the land next door is master planned and the use will be compatable with your home. In Spring and other areas... good luck. Your subdivision entrance may have trees now... but they could be mowed down for a Jiffy Lube within weeks and you wouldn't have one say in the matter.

I love The Woodlands and would live there if I had the option. Good luck... and welcome to the Houston area. I think you'll enjoy it here...

I think if your husband will work in the Greenspoint area (bad area by the way), The Woodlands would definitely be your best choice. We are moving there ourselves in December, my wife grew up there so we know it well.

We will go with the Village of Grogan

The thing you are neglecting to realize is what the lifestyle of this couple is.

Do they like to hang out at home? Do they like to go to the movies? There is more to life then just commuting to work.

ONLY having *28* miles to Houston is insane if someone didn't grow up in the area and is used to the distances. Ask anyone who's lived in europe, 28 miles is almost to the country. (okay, I'm pushing it. but you get my point)

The woodlands is great, so are the other subburbs out there, but there is a matter of quality of life issues after work as well.

Ricco

Quality of life is exactly what I had in mind when I recommended The Woodlands. Have you been there recently?? I read what Moving2Houston wrote a couple of times, so I'm only suggesting what I think is best based on what was written...

Want movies? They got 'em (both independent and standard Hollywood fare) in two newly developed theater complexes. Want retail integrated with office/ residential product in a pedestrian oriented environment? They've got it in the form of The Woodlands Town Center - which is really becoming impressive. Want culture? You've got concerts at Cynthia Woods Pavilion, a new (and large) Children's Museum under development, with more cultural facilities to come. Want green space, plentiful parks, hike and bike trails, lakes? Yep... all there. Want a variety of housing stock - homes, townhouses, mid-rise condos, patio homes, senior housing? The Woodlands has tons of options. Hospitals a concern? Not a problem - close and easily accessible within The Woodlands. There are many, many other attributes to The Woodlands... perfect place? No... but a really, really great place to live.

And I'll repeat, if you want other options, Houston is only 28 miles away (which doesn't take that long)... by American suburban standards, that is not that bad. The commute to Greenspoint isn't bad at all (and the area isn't that bad). Again, for my money and quality of life - I guess I didn't stress it enough - I think you won't be disappointed with The Woodlands

M2H-

I'm sure you are well aware of the RELO program offered to your husband at Exxon. They will be your first and best source of information, as well as others working for Exxon in the Greenspoint area. I would not be at all surprised if most of them now live in the Woodlands area. This may be somewhat important for you and your husband since they will be part of your "Exxon family", and probably be the people you will want to socialize with here. The Woodlands area would be your best choice out of all areas near Greenspoint, IMO. Safe neighborhoods, great schools, shopping galore, and lots and lots of parks and outdoor entertainment options, including the Cynthia Woods Mitchell pavilion. If you are without children, my first choice would be one of the newer townhome communities being built along the Woodlands Waterway. These will put you within walking distance of both stores and parks, and within your price range. Plus, getting in now while they're still somewhat of a new concept would be nice because they are sure to only go up in value, especially the ones located along the Woodlands Waterway.

If you do have children and they are accustomed to the IBO program offered globally, the only school in the north Houston area offering the high school IBO Diploma program at this time is Klein Oak High School within the Klein ISD. The Cunae School is in the process of relocating their school to Gosling Road (near Klein Oak) also, and they will be offering the PYP (Primary Years Program), and the MYP (Middle Years Program). However, they will not be offering the high school program. Only Klein Oak High School has this program. Northampton, which is just south of the Woodlands area is the closest neighborhood within the district to Klein Oak. Northampton is lucky to have the elementary, intermediate and high schools all located within the boundaries of the neighborhood. The students can walk to all three schools, which is probably the top reason why we bought here. But, if you don't have kids, this would not be a consideration for you and you would probably be better off in a townhome in the Woodlands area.

CWP is HARDLY what I would call the epitome of culture.

I'm refering the "THEATER" as in "PLAYS" as in JONES HALL, ALLEY THEATER. As someone so eloquently put it on TV a few days ago, "Not everyone shops at walmart."

I understand that the woodlands has a movie theater or 3, I was merely asking what THEY want as far as entertainment.

Believe me, I used to leave near Jersey Village, and it was a BIG deal to go out on the town on a weeknight for a ballgame and hustle home by 11pm so we can get ready for a 6am commute.

I am NOT asking what the woodlands has to offer, I'm asking Moving2Houston what THEY *consider* as a factor in quality of life.

Ricco

Are you sure they said Greenspoint and not Greenway? Those are two very far apart areas, but I had them confused when I first moved to Houston. I know for a fact that Exxon has campuses in both places (EM is all over Greenway, although none of their buildings are marked with signs).

Are you sure they said Greenspoint and not Greenway? Those are two very far apart areas, but I had them confused when I first moved to Houston. I know for a fact that Exxon has campuses in both places (EM is all over Greenway, although none of their buildings are marked with signs).

Nope, it's Greenspoint out by the airport!

Thank you very much for your comments, Pineda. They were helpful and constructive - and relevant to the original discussion. And to help folks out just a little here, Exxon Mobil has a huge presence in the Houston area and is one of the city's largest employers. They occupy over one million square feet of office space in the Greenspoint office market with other offices downtown and in other submarkets of the city. Clearly, Moving2Houston needs relatively good access to the Greenspoint area.... M2H- Good luck with your move - and again, welcome to the Houston area. I think you will like it here, no matter your interests or where you decide to call home....

Ok, that said, Ricco... please read the opening questions of this discussion. You may not be asking about what The Woodlands has to offer - BUT THEY WERE. My initial response was geared specifically to the questions posed... QUESTIONS THAT WERE SPECIFICALLY ASKED ABOUT THE WOODLANDS AND THE SURROUNDING AREA... their interests were made quite clear. The last time I checked - this thread was about THE WOODLANDS AND CONROE . I'm sure if they were interested in living in Houston they would have placed their questions in another discussion thread.

Alright, back to that happy place. Moving2Houston, safe travels and all the best with your move. I think you've gotten some helpful advice here regarding The Woodlands and the surrounding suburbs.... and I am outta here!

Thank you all again very much for your time and all the informative information and opinions you have provided me with to help me sort this out. They will be very helpful in our decision process. I now know if we go out of the city, it should be The Woodlands and why.

We look forward living in such a warm and friendly state, wherever we are!

Kind Regards,

Renee

• 1 month later...
Thank you all again very much for your time and all the informative information and opinions you have provided me with to help me sort this out. They will be very helpful in our decision process. I now know if we go out of the city, it should be The Woodlands and why.

We look forward living in such a warm and friendly state, wherever we are!

Kind Regards,

Renee

I am also new to Houston and am looking for a house. I have been to the Woodlands and I think it is a great place to live. There are many other nice places around the city such as Sienna Plantation, Cinco Ranch, Coles Crossing, Glenloch Farms just to name a few. That is, only if you want to live in the suburbs. There are many great inner-city choices as well. The only downside of Woodlands is that its a bit more expensive than the others so you would get less house for your dollars. However, people love Woodlands and it will be built out soon so resale would be a bit easier.

I would also like to live in the Woodlands. However, I work in Westchase right off Beltway 8, though my working hours are flexible so I dont have to worry about rush hours. If I take Beltway-8 and I-45 outside of rush hours, it would take me about 30-35 minutes to Woodlands. Plus, I would have to pay toll each way unless I take I-10 and I-45. I am not sure how much time that route would take. On the other hand commute to other locations I have mentioned would take at least 20-25 minutes so I am talking about 10-15 minutes more.

Some people think it would be crazy for me to live as far as Woodlands. I am still struggling to determine if higher quality of life in the Woodlands would outweigh long commute and the toll.

If you have children, please check out the school systems first, before you start worrying about commute times. That really should be a priority for you.

On a side note, Gleannloch Farms is directly in the flight path of Hooks Airport. They want to be perceived as a "master planned community" like the Woodlands, but really, they are just another developer driven layout with more thought towards the bottom line profits instead of quality of life, IMHO.

i must agree with tw2ntyse7en on several points.

as much as i appreciate the woodlands, i would not have chosen to live here if i had to commute the route that kzseattle describes. there are so many amenities on the west side of houston that i'm sure a closer look at some of the neighborhoods there will suite your fancy.

good luck and welcome!

I'd have to agree with 27 as well.

While the children's education should be a consideration, your and your family's social life should factored in as well (I can already hear the regulars groaningin anticipation of what I'm going to say). Think about aspects of what you like to do. Sugarland's commute may be a bit of a monster, but would be less daunting than living in the woodlands.

But it would also allow you to go to the games downtown or easily get to the variety of entertainment/cultural venues around town.

Ricco

I was in TheWoodlands earlier, and for some reason, it seems BORING! Sure, its nice, with the mall and stuff, but it seemed SOO BORING!!!

• The title was changed to Moving To Houston Should It Be The Woodlands?