Moving to the 'Burbs

I have been lurking in this forum for the last few months. Thank you all for the good information!

I grew up in Memorial and spent most of my 20's in Bellaire. I love the central and SW side. My zone of travel usually involves the Galleria, West U, Mid-town, and maybe an occasional trek out to Sugarland. For my needs, I have found S. Rice to be a tactically useful street. From S. Rice and Bissonnet I can be anywhere very quickly.

Anyway- Now in my 30s, I find myself married and looking to start a family. Although I believe Bellaire to be kid-friendly, I would like to try out the suburbs. Specifically, I have 500k to spend and want to have...

- at least a half acre of land (where I can choose my own builder)

- access to basic amenities (grocery store, gym, etc.)

- access to good public/private schools

- commute to Houston no more than 40 min

I also want to feel like my home is going to appreciate in value. I've been pretty fortunate with my home in Bellaire and would like to continue that trend.

After a couple months of research, I came up with a community called Benders Landing. I won't rave about it here, but I would be interested in hearing other recommended communities.

Thank you.

welcome to the forum!

have you been to bender's landing yet?

although i sound like a broken record to most of the regular contributors here, the village of grogan's mill along north millbend in the woodlands is beginning to feel the "town center effect". homes within a one mile radius of the increasingly popular woodlands' town center are showing to be 17-21% higher in value than similar homes furthur away. (exact results of the town center effect study are on the town center website.) this trend IMHO will only increase. however, you will not find any new homes in this area. home prices in grogan's mill vary from 100k to over 1 million. now for 500k, you could purchase a new townhome on east shore. i believe the larger lot private residences will be considerably more.

so, there's my two cents. :)

good luck.

Edited by bachanon

I think there's a really nice one out in Fulshear...its far, but once you pick up the Westpark Tollway off of FM 1093, its remarkably easy to get to your zone of influence. It'll be even more easy once the I-10 reconstruction wraps up and people return to more normal commuting patterns.

Also, Fulshear has a really nice waterway called Bessie's Creek.

Can't remember what the subdivision is called...I know that there's Firethorne, but there may also be another one...at the very least, another one is being planned as we speak.

I know Conroe & Lake Conroe have 1 to 5 acre lots. The nice thing about Conroe is that even though its a small town, it still has all the ammenities every other cookie cutter suburb has. What's unique about Conroe is that its an actual town with its own identity, and not just street after street of KB Homes.

Also, you have the Woodlands 10 minutes to the south for anything above regular dining or shopping. You also have the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion in the Woodlands as well as the Woodlands Mall & Town Center.

The worst part about living up there it seems is that its not very diverse, it is far away from Houston's core, and there are alot of motocycles on the weekends.

Hi bachanon,

welcome to the forum!

have you been to bender's landing yet?

Yes. My wife and I purchased a lot last year (the first day we found the place) and are building our house now. It's beautiful. We have well over an acre, tucked back in a culdesac with many, many trees. We're very excited!

welcome to the forum!

although i sound like a broken record to most of the regular contributors here, the village of grogan's mill along north millbend in the woodlands is beginning to feel the "town center effect". homes within a one mile radius of the increasingly popular woodlands' town center are showing to be 17-21% higher in value than similar homes furthur away. (exact results of the town center effect study are on the town center website.) this trend IMHO will only increase. however, you will not find any new homes in this area. home prices in grogan's mill vary from 100k to over 1 million. now for 500k, you could purchase a new townhome on east shore. i believe the larger lot private residences will be considerably more.

so, there's my two cents. :)

good luck.

Proximity to The Woodlands Town Center is big part of what made BL so appealing to us.

We plan to make The Woodlands Town Center our new retail zone and Benders Landing our home. If we get stuck or lonely, the Hardy Toll Road can jet us downtown in 25 min. Galleria takes about 35 min.

So, your town center effect theory holds, especially in our case.

I just sold some property in the Fulshear area and it would be perfect when considering your criteria. It's an easy commute (relatively) to town and will only get better as they continue the expanision of the Westpark tollway.

The topography is very nice as well with slightly rolling hills and good hardwood trees (mostly pecan). The area is largely undeveloped but most certainly that will change soon.

Edited by Gary

I think there's a really nice one out in Fulshear...its far, but once you pick up the Westpark Tollway off of FM 1093, its remarkably easy to get to your zone of influence. It'll be even more easy once the I-10 reconstruction wraps up and people return to more normal commuting patterns.

Also, Fulshear has a really nice waterway called Bessie's Creek.

Can't remember what the subdivision is called...I know that there's Firethorne, but there may also be another one...at the very least, another one is being planned as we speak.

Perhaps it is Fulbrook?

fulbrook.net

har listings

Here is Benders Landing BTW:

http://www.benderslanding.com

har listings

congratulations and welcome to the neighborhood.

here are some area links, just in case you haven't come across them already.

woodlands online business portal

town center website

market street website

the villager

the woodlands resident website even though you're not a resident, there is information on activites, new developments, construction, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you heard of Sienna Plantation? With the Fortbend Tollway it would be an easy commute to the galleria area.

Also, there are many estate subdivisions withing Sienna where you can choose your own builder such as Waterbrook, Sienna Point, and Silver Ridge. Here you have estate communities within one large master planned community. Lots usually run around 100K for an acre or more. Hope that helps. Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...
I have been lurking in this forum for the last few months. Thank you all for the good information!

I grew up in Memorial and spent most of my 20's in Bellaire. I love the central and SW side. My zone of travel usually involves the Galleria, West U, Mid-town, and maybe an occasional trek out to Sugarland. For my needs, I have found S. Rice to be a tactically useful street. From S. Rice and Bissonnet I can be anywhere very quickly.

Anyway- Now in my 30s, I find myself married and looking to start a family. Although I believe Bellaire to be kid-friendly, I would like to try out the suburbs. Specifically, I have 500k to spend and want to have...

- at least a half acre of land (where I can choose my own builder)

- access to basic amenities (grocery store, gym, etc.)

- access to good public/private schools

- commute to Houston no more than 40 min

I also want to feel like my home is going to appreciate in value. I've been pretty fortunate with my home in Bellaire and would like to continue that trend.

After a couple months of research, I came up with a community called Benders Landing. I won't rave about it here, but I would be interested in hearing other recommended communities.

Thank you.

We are developers of a small (50 lots)new subdivision (wooded , large 1/3 acre & up) called Forest Cove. We are between Clear Lake & Galveston just 7/10 mile east of I-45. We also live here, in a small historic community of Dickinson. The public schools are recognized rating..but there are plenty of private schools. We have large lots on the bayou also. We have a young couple w/2 small children building in there now, but most of our buyers are in their 50's & 60's that are building 3,000 ' ONE story homes, and our lots can accommodate larger homes than that. Anyway, we have a very quiet single street, easy commute to Houston, close (5 minutes) to League City & 20 minutes to Galveston. Check us out at www.forestcove2.com. Your custom builder is welcome to build here, within our restrictions.

• 2 years later...