Houston Planners Envision

Oct. 24, 2004, 9:46PM

MOVE IT!

Houston planners envision less reliance on automobile

By LUCAS WALL

-------------------

This message has been edited to remove copyrighted material.

Please do not post copyrighted photos or articles from newspapers or magazines. We have already received a warning from the Houston Chronicle, and the legal departments of other publications have visited the site. If you would like to discuss a published article, please summarize the article and provide a link to the original source.

-------------------

• 5 months later...
I love the direction and vision, but unfortunately don't see this as a reality in Houston or really anywhere in the south for quite some time.  Car ownership is still too cheap for people to abandon them (cars), even those that live "intown".  Just a thought.

and gasoline is still too cheap to force people OUT of their cars. i heard that it will take at least $3.50 a gallon to force angelinos out of their cars. i wonder what cost it would take to force houstonians out of theirs and really consider other options (mass transit, car pools, van pools, etc.)

i wondered too if there could be a website developed (and folks i am just brainstorming here) that you could put in your current location, your destination, your desired departure time, and desired arrival times and find a car pool buddy that wants to do the same thing. the technology is here, but i have no idea HOW to make it happen.

Archived