Could a 249 freeway extension be used to spur development in Acres Homes

CE_ugh

We all know Acres Homes (or the fo-fo) is probably the roughest collection of neighborhoods in the city. We also know that IH-45 is in dire need of expansion. Since Acres Homes is bisected by Montgomery Road and Shepherd Drive, two streets with marginal economic activity, why not extend freeway lanes of 249 down W. Montgomery to Shepherd Drive to meet with 610 at the Shepherd Durham split. If not a full freeway, why not a super street like S. Main.

I dont know how much traffic this would take off IH-45 but it would definetly spur development in a somewhat forggoten part of Houston. Also it would probably have to entail a rebuilding of 610 North Loop to handle the load. I hope this isnt too convoluted. :blush:

First impressions:

This seems like a good idea. Seems to me the area around 249 is better off than Acres Homes, so extending it down there would help the economic divide and it seems that the way you made your plan doesn't require tearing down too many homes.

The economic divide between the areas is so strong it makes you wonder why we haven't done it allready. This seems like a really good idea.

Would it be possible to extend it all the way to I-10 via Shepherd? If the 249 extension ends on the North Loop near I-45, all the southbound traffic would try to take I-45. Anything to keep extra cars off that constipated wreck.

Nope.

Reason: Houston Heights

Guest Plastic

Now this is a crazy idea If anythig The Northwest Tollway shoudl be built. As for 249, they could do the Super Street thing to I-45.

Guest danax

This would be a great commuter rail corridor, but adding a freeway extension wouldn't help the area. It might add a few gas stations along the route but I don't see any freeway corridors that have really helped surrounding areas.

In the book Houston Freeways, one of the main proponents of the 225 fwy., that was proposed to run through the East End, argued that putting the freeway through there would improve the area and open it up for development. Thank God it was stopped because the other examples, like the East Fwy. haven't done a thing for the communities on either side, unless you would call retail blight, noise and pollution improvements.

Little by little, people will get used to leaving their cars in the garage, especially when going to work. We need to be ahead of the trend a bit and prohibit new freeway spokes and go commuter rail instead, thereby forcing commuters to eventually use them.

I don't think youir argument is sustainable that it will only bring more small wealth commercial services. It will also help the real estate and encourage people to move into the area. 249 allready connects to I-45 doesn't it? An extended connection to I-45 wouldn't hurt traffic but people moving into Acres Homes would, we would just have to keep an eye on that. Also we can't tunnel it through The Heights: tearing down too many homes then.

Securing a commuter rail stop would be good for the area...but why not do both the commuter rail and the road?

Archived