These kids go to the best public schools

This article is a bit of a crock of s**t.

Any listing that includes Aldine HS in its Top 10 list of Public Schools loses all credibility.

Besides. What about The Woodlands HS? What about Cy-Fair HS? Klein? All of which are better than 8 or 9 of the Top 10 listed.

None of the Woodlands schools were included in this survey. Cy-Fair and Klein were, though. A lot of weight was given to graduation rates of seniors at these schools. They were tracked as freshmen in 2001 through graduation in 2004. The schools at the top of the survey not only did a good job with their TAKS scores, but also by pushing a college-bound culture and actively helping to place these students in colleges, by working on their college applications, polishing resumes, making sure the students were taking the Recommended High School Plan and finding the scholarships out there for them. They went above & beyond. Trust me, I was not at all happy to see that our local high school, Klein Oak, was rated #94! We have a "Community Dinner with Superintendent Cain" on March 9th and this will definitely be brought up for discussion.

http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Bellaire_HS.pdf and http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Lamar_HS.pdf show the dropout rates.

How were the dropout rates calculated? Keep in mind that not all kids that leave Lamar/Bellaire don't go to another school (transfer students can be booted out and sent to their home schools). Maybe the people who made the list messed up and didn't realize that.

And if a student is truly unwilling to learn and is extremely disruptive, is it such a bad thing if he ends up dropping out? He can easily come back once he realizes his mistake.

"This graduation-rate assessment began by taking the number of students in a school's 2001 freshman class and comparing that to the number of students who graduated in 2004."

Yep. Doesn't take into account kids who are forced to attend their home schools after making lousy grades or having disciplinary problems.

Also, the Woodlands schools ought to have been included. Sorry, but the Woodlands is a Houston suburb.

Also:

"All three schools draw kids from relatively affluent urban areas. Bellaire pools from the West University area, Lamar from Montrose and River Oaks, and Westside from the Galleria area."

Actually Bellaire pools from Bellaire and Meyerland but gets a TON of transfer students. Lamar pools from West University, River Oaks, Montrose, and the Galleria Area. Westside pools from the Briar Forest, Ashford, and Walnut Bend neighborhoods.

And if a student is truly unwilling to learn and is extremely disruptive, is it such a bad thing if he ends up dropping out? He can easily come back once he realizes his mistake.

Just because someone may be classified as a drop-out, it doesn't necessarily mean they were "truly unwilling to learn" or "extremely disruptive". It could be that the "one-size-fits-all" approach to public schools was not a good fit for these students, couldn't it, or does no blame get assigned there? Did you notice that for Bellaire, while their population did not change much over the course of the last few years, that the rate of students assigned ISS went up significantly? Is this because the students going to Bellaire have gotten worse over the years, in terms of behavior, or perhaps because the "No Child Left Behind" is just not working out as well for everyone as we had all hoped? I'm asking questions because I don't know the answer, I'm not trying to be rhetorical here. Anyone care to comment? (BTW, is it really that easy to come back once someone has dropped out? Again, I don't know the answer, but would guess not.)

Obviously I wasn't speaking for ALL dropout students. There are also kids who drop out because their families need to make extra money and the kids can't juggle school and work.

Data is funny because while the number of ISSes (not the rate of students assigned ISS) made tripled (It could be a sign of a stricter administration) there were no expulsions for several years. Honestly I think part of the issue with data is what people look for and how they see it.

For 05-06 there will be at least two explusions (one for the girl who killed her mom (outside of school, of course) and one for the moron who stabbed the kid in the stairwell).

http://www.houstonisd.org/HISD/portal/arti...5048297,00.html <- HISD's page on how dropouts can return to school

Mark Ellis, candidate for Senate Dist. 7 explains the drop-out rate...

In an editorial board meeting with the Houston Chronicle, Ellis differed with that rationale.

"They come here to get an education, they don't speak the language. And we lose federal funding because drop-out rates increase," he said. "All they really want to do is find a job and drop out."

• 4 months later...

Any listing that includes Aldine HS in its Top 10 list of Public Schools loses all credibility.

WTF do you have against Aldine High School? Odd how you failed to give any rationale for your statement. That damages your credibility.

Sign me Aldine High School Class of 1984.

Archived