National Biscuit Company At 1700 Commerce St.

Ashikaga

So it appears that most of my memories of Houston are accurate.  This article says that NABISCO was on Holcombe.  Someone else told me that the Prudential Building was also on that street, and I remember it, too.

The Prudential is at Holcombe and Main (Fannin?). Interesting that it is also becoming part of the Med Cntr, but apparently will be destroyed instead of adapted for reuse. Most recent HAIF topic being here. Kind of like the weather, if you don't like how Houston looks right now, wait 20 years. I guess the positive spin on our destroying our past would be to say that we are "dynamic and progressive".

There was a VERY old NAtional BIScuit COmpany building on the 1700 block of Commerce, probably from 1910ish, that was considered for loft space but was finally murdered and buried in the landfill around '99-'00.

• 12 years later...
On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2005 at 7:21 PM, Guest danax said:

The Prudential is at Holcombe and Main (Fannin?). Interesting that it is also becoming part of the Med Cntr, but apparently will be destroyed instead of adapted for reuse. Most recent HAIF topic being here. Kind of like the weather, if you don't like how Houston looks right now, wait 20 years. I guess the positive spin on our destroying our past would be to say that we are "dynamic and progressive".

There was a VERY old NAtional BIScuit COmpany building on the 1700 block of Commerce, probably from 1910ish, that was considered for loft space but was finally murdered and buried in the landfill around '99-'00.

Nabisco, NW corner of Commerce & Chenevert. Taken September 1998.

Nabisco Building Commerce @ Chenevert.jpg

Archived