Tuam Avenue Baptist Church At 2819 Fannin St.

AmbroseBierce

Does anybody remember that gigantic white Greek revival house with the doric columns on Fannin Street, I want to say near McGowen (now "mid town")? It was across the street from the MHMRA building. For years it was a cleaners, then it was demolished...in the late '90s I think. In the same block was an old one-story brick building that was occasionally used as a haunted house...It's been an empty lot ever since.

• Like 1

Does anybody remember that gigantic white Greek revival house with the doric columns on Fannin Street, I want to say near McGowen (now "mid town")? It was across the street from the MHMRA building. For years it was a cleaners, then it was demolished...in the late '90s I think. In the same block was an old one-story brick building that was occasionally used as a haunted house...It's been an empty lot ever since.

2819 Fannin was A. N. Dawson's Tuam Avenue Baptist Church building, built in 1902. It became Perfecto Cleaners when the congregation moved and became South Main Baptist Church in 1920. According to the Architectural Guide, the brown brick annex was built for the cleaners in 1928 by Lamar Q. Cato.

The Vietnamese tax place on Milam is one of the last survivors of the grand South End residential district, the R.C. Duff house designed in 1911 by George Freuhling. Now surrounded by new apartment/condos. Duff also built the three story apartment building on the corner of Milan and McGowen in 1922.

2819 Fannin was A. N. Dawson's Tuam Avenue Baptist Church building, built in 1902. It became Perfecto Cleaners when the congregation moved and became South Main Baptist Church in 1920. According to the Architectural Guide, the brown brick annex was built for the cleaners in 1928 by Lamar Q. Cato.

The Vietnamese tax place on Milam is one of the last survivors of the grand South End residential district, the R.C. Duff house designed in 1911 by George Freuhling. Now surrounded by new apartment/condos. Duff also built the three story apartment building on the corner of Milan and McGowen in 1922.

A bit of trivia - the Duff house used to face McGowan but was turned 90 degrees to face Milam in about 1937.