Seattle 2006

I've been to Seattle twice...but I was far more impressed by Vancouver.

My favorite part of Seattle is the International District, sort of the Chinatown there. I love the layout.

Most of the Seattle action seems to be around their downtown regions. One thing I still like about Houston better is that our regional spread has different types of pedestrian areas with unique layouts (Old Town Spring, Kemah, Woodlands, Rice Village, Montrose, Museum District, Med Center...and hey, no can deny that downtown Houston 2006 is WAY BETTER than downtown Houston 1996 and getting better).

My youngest brother lives up there in Seattle and likes it better BUT I'LL still take Houston's overall diversity (regional, cultural, weather, etc.) over Seattle's.

Looks great pxright1! Seattle sure has an impressive downtown! Pacific Place really started the retail movement back downtown for Seattle. I think the Houston Pavilions (and Sakowitz) should be a similar, albeit smaller in scale, force here. What's really impressive to me is how they got Nordstrom to take a chance on an unproven downtown Seattle before any other notable retail was down there. The Pavilions will be more entertainment driven and might not be able to spark the fashion interest that Pacific Place did. We'll have to see.

Very interesting comments. largeTexas Nordstrom has always been in downtown Seattle. In fact, probably there before anything else. Also where Nordstrom is now use to be the old Frederick & Nelson department store which went out of business in the early 90's. Nordstrom use to be directly across the street.

The old Nordstrom

nordstrom.jpg

Now a number of stores occupy the old Nordstrom including Adidas, Diesel, Urban Outfitters, Coldwater Creek, Sephora and others. Offices occupy the upper floors.

8361Medium.jpg

The old Frederick & Nelson department store then.

frednelson2.jpg

Nordstrom now

DowntownSeattle015.jpg

Also Old Navy moved into the old I. Magnin department store in 1999.

8377Medium.jpg

Beautiful city, no doubt about it. Houston DT should or could have been very similar, our DT now is buisness during the day, dinner and bars at night. Shopping is in the little to none category in DT Houston. I don't know if I am the only one but I often think and visualize if all the shopping, hotels, and offices that are in the uptown, and greenway plaza were built in the DT area to fill in all the empty surface lots, Houston would have had a very impressive walkable central part of the city with plenty of street front shopping similar to Seattle.

Beautiful city, no doubt about it. Houston DT should or could have been very similar, our DT now is buisness during the day, dinner and bars at night. Shopping is in the little to none category in DT Houston. I don't know if I am the only one but I often think and visualize if all the shopping, hotels, and offices that are in the uptown, and greenway plaza area were built in the DT area to fill in all the empty surface lots, Houston would have had a very impressive walkable central part of the city with plenty of street front shopping similar to Seattle.

Very interesting comments. largeTexas Nordstrom has always been in downtown Seattle. In fact, probably there before anything else. Also where Nordstrom is now use to be the old Frederick & Nelson department store which went out of business in the early 90's. Nordstrom use to be directly across the street.

Thanks pwright1. All this time I thought Jeff Rhodes brought Nordstrom into downtown Seattle in 1998 from outside the city center. So, it's more like Houston's Foley's in the respect that it has been there for generations?! That makes me feel better! Trying to lure Nordstrom to downtown Houston would be a miracle feat at this point in time.

Archived