Private equity investor-backed high-volume firm primarily building schools in TX & CA.  PBK has no relation to local firm Powers Brown.  AFAIK it might stand for its managing principals Powell, Boggio, and Ketterl, but they never depart from the branded identity as simply PBK.  Given such a high volume of work it's hard for me to speculate about why they sometimes build such similar architectural products with such different budgets:  for instance their new Glenda Dawson High School, a whopping 360,000 square foot project on Cullen Boulevard in Pearland, broke ground in May 2007 and was to be completed in 2009 for $54.1 million;

https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/pearland-news/article/Dawson-High-construction-slated-to-begin-this-1529035.php

Meanwhile PBK's project for Angleton High School was a 375,000 square foot new campus on FM 523;

"The campus cost about $82.6 million, and construction started in April 2008" and wrapped up in May 2010.

https://thefacts.com/your_town/angleton_cc/construction-almost-complete-at-new-angleton-high-school/article_56eb4282-63c8-11df-99d1-001cc4c03286.html

Here is Pearland Dawson HS

IMG_1259.jpeg.13f048a5d6dcd9fa7932129c0961cdd1.jpeg

Here is the Angleton HS

IMG_1258.jpeg.45ad1f704835b5993cc8ebc449df81bc.jpeg

This thread will be for others' thoughts.  I won't editorialize other than to note that PBK's approach to local placemaking is not my preferred method of placemaking.

• Like 1