Casa Poli At 2231 W. Holcombe Blvd.

I was looking around Worthpoint for historical Houston things and came across a cool old matchbook.  The restaurant featured on the matchbook was called Casa Poli located at 2231 W. Holcombe Blvd.

Does anyone recall this place? Any memories to share?

I don't have a date. Can we date this? 1950s - 1970s is my guess.

Casa Poli
Your hosts Joe & Frances
221 West Holcolmbe Blvd. * Phone MO 5-9520

pLKpl1n.jpg

• Like 1

Well, before 1975 anyway, per this history:

History : Buon Appetito Ristorante Italiano : 2231 W. Holcombe Blvd. Houston, TX 77030 : Tel:(713) 665-4601 (buonappetitohouston.com)

I was invited by a co-worker sometime in the middish-70s to join a group checking out a new Italian Resto on Murphy Rd (FM 1092/Stafford).  I did not get to go but heard later 'it was just that Italian restaurant down on Holcombe moving to a new location and same old mediocre food.'  

So I'm guessing Buon Appetito took over whatever was at 2231.  I can't remember the name but it wasn't Casa Poli I'm pretty sure.  

I remember reading some time ago that the area behind the Shamrock was one of Houston's Italian neighborhoods earlier in the 20th Century; I'm guessing Casa Poli was Italian.

• Like 1