Poop at the beach - What can be done about it

Many articles have shown the high amounts of fecal and other bacteria at Texas beaches. People also say that the poo comes form runoff from the many rivers that empty into the Texas Gulf. So the question I am asking is what can we do about the poop filled runoff? We can't just put filters across all the rivers the empty into the gulf!

3 hours ago, IWantTransit555 said:

Many articles have shown the high amounts of fecal and other bacteria at Texas beaches. People also say that the poo comes form runoff from the many rivers that empty into the Texas Gulf. So the question I am asking is what can we do about the poop filled runoff? We can't just put filters across all the rivers the empty into the gulf!

It depends on whose poop is the problem.

A number of beaches on Lake Michigan were closed over the Independence Day weekend because of poop from birds.  It hadn't rained in a long time, then it rained just before the 4th, and shoosh — lots of poop in the water.

If it's people poop, that's something that can be handled.

Modern cities have separate storm and sanitary sewer systems.  Cities like Milwaukee have a unified system, so when it rains too much the whole thing overflows, and poop goes into the lake. 

I have no idea what kind of sewer arrangements Houston-area cities have, but I'm sure there are smart HAIFers who do.

• Like 1