Free iTunes

There are a number of ways to get free iTunes. The most common way is to open an account and just download the one or two free songs that are offered each week. If you have accounts at multiple stores (France, Japan, UK, etc...) you get more and different songs.

Another way is through a growing number of schools that are putting their original content on iTunes for free download. I don't know why they do it, as it would seem to cost them money, but maybe they think it's good PR. One of them is Stanford University. They allow you to download student music as well as lectures, sporting events, and other special events. This is the link for free iTunes content from Stanford University. The music isn't all chamber orchestras and bad marching band music. Most of it is very much like the music I remember from my college radio days. Back then we called it "alternative," but I'm not sure anyone calls it that anymore.

• 7 months later...