Residential Lot For A Contemporary House

largeTEXAS

I'm looking for a lot to build a contemporary house and need some help. My favorite neighborhoods are Montrose, Eastwood and generally most neighborhoods in the East End, and the Museum District, but I'll look at anything inside the Loop. Anyone know of a potential lot that's the typical 5,000 sf that might be undervalued or otherwise really cool? And/or, anyone know of a ratty house that's dying to be recycled into a sustainable house?

Thanks so much!

ratty house for a tear down or a ratty house to restore? What type?

I wouldn't hold my breath for someone to sell a vacant lot in one of the hotter neighborhoods for less than market. Half the time it's a struggle to bring sellers back down to reality as to what market is!

If you want something contemporary, rehab that monster next door to Stolitx!

While we're on the topic of vacant land, does anyone happen to know the current market value of land in the Museum District? In particular, I'm curious about the area between Main and 288, south of 59 to north of Hermann Park. Based on the HAR, it looks as though asking prices vary between 35-40 per sq ft, but I'm curious as to whether these prices are realistic.

Theres an 8250 sq ft lot at Eddington & Rusk for $129,900

There's also an old house at 4733 Dumble, corner with Bell, on 5000 sq. ft for 56K. The house appears quite "rustic" but it could be used as a parts house for lumber and other salvageable materials. Not a very private corner though. There's also a vacant 10000 sq ft lot on Ilex St. in Pecan Park, a decent setting, for 80K, which seems very overpriced.

Thanks for the leads. I've looked at 4733 Dumble, but the seller isn't very motivated. He wants to wait until the summer to sell in order to get as many offers as possible.

rps324 - lot looks pretty good. I'll PM you.

danax - What official neighborhood is that lot on Ilex St in?

Thanks so much everyone!

Also looking for a site, maybe 7,000 - 15,000 SF for a small mixed use project in Montrose or Museum District. Here's an idea of what we're planning

k_lofts_nine.jpg

motowhite.jpg

Oaklandsmall-box.jpg

Edited by largeTEXAS

danax - What official neighborhood is that lot on Ilex St in?

The neighborhood name is Pecan Park. It's on HAR, the 7100 block. And I can attest to the neighbors to the west being nice young people.

The neighborhood is your typical Houston middle-class depression era grid. It's about a mile or so on the other side of 45 from Gulfgate. I've lived here for 4 yrs and have had no problems (other than an occasional rant-inspiring episode of Tejano music) and there's a train not too far to the north. It's off the beaten path of gentrification still, although we've got our first McMansion going up. I'd say it's about like the Texans, about "5 years away from being 5 years away". The streets were once lined with mature pecan trees and now they're semi-spotty on most streets.

I like the middle project. The top one would be improved if the staircase/entrance was a little more private, IMO. I like where you're going with all this and I'm sure your house will be a great boon and inspiration to most neighborhoods.