Developer Buys Land Near Spot For Park

Houstonian in Iraq

Does someone know something i don't? We purchased two rental buildings in urban environments in '05, and the rents were in the low $3 psf. And, we bought below replacement. STILL, the numbers barely work. They are more of a long term play. The highest rent of which i'm aware in Houston is Finger's Museum and it's not getting that much and this downtown building will cost a fortune?

Don't get it.

Does someone know something i don't? We purchased two rental buildings in urban environments in '05, and the rents were in the low $3 psf. And, we bought below replacement. STILL, the numbers barely work. They are more of a long term play. The highest rent of which i'm aware in Houston is Finger's Museum and it's not getting that much and this downtown building will cost a fortune?

Don't get it.

Sometimes there's nothing to get. ;)

Don't get it.

It makes more sense to develop these days. With Cap Rates being so low, it is difficult to make a decent return on your purchase. As you stated, your numbers are barely working. This is not just residential, it is a across all property types. In retail you can build a center for anywhere from $80-$150+ a foot. The typical value after completetion and lease up can be in the $175-$300 range. The investor who is buying the new center is buying at a 6-8 cap rate while the investor is making 25% plus on his investment. I am not sure the numbers on Residental, but I assume they are similar. Finger is able to make a better return on developing a building than purchasing. Just one man's opinion.

Archived