I pass through this area at least a couple of times for year - mostly staying overnight on the way to somewhere else and do keep tabs on what's happening in this part of the state. Admittedly, the population trends have been fairly stagnant for some time and economic growth isn't nearly as positive as in other parts of Texas. Sure, there may never be a Buc-ee's in the Falls but things still do happen there.

I have been pleasantly surprised at some of the more recent developments in the core of the city, though it is still an ongoing project to fill and retain those spaces. I've also been surprised on several evenings in the recent past when going to dinner - usually at Casa Manana - noticing that most of the surrounding lots and the street parking spots are filled, and there are no major events at the MPEC (Multi-Purpose Events Center) or any other nearby venues. There's definitely some momentum. Their Downtown development group should be credited for much of it - they have taken a smart (IMO) approach by focusing on multiple smaller projects like installing bike racks and upgrading a pocket park in the heart of downtown, among other things and it has a cumulative effect.

It also probably won't hurt that the MPEC's long-planned hotel and conference center is now almost complete. It will be a Delta by Marriott and is expected to open in June of this year. The venues themselves are generally surrounded by parking lots and the construction of the hotel will eliminate the one closest to the Coliseum and Exhibit Hall, and claim the two south of it for the hotel. Pictures are from the linked story.

ldLc9nV.png

g89iEjt.png

The aforementioned activity is also likely driven by a number of residential conversions in the core over the past two decades.

Elsewhere in the city, additional developments have occurred in the recent past. New hotels have been added near Midwestern State University and along Kell Blvd.

Midwestern has upgraded some of its existing facilities and added new ones including a Health Science Center.

I may be there again in a month, or if not then, in June. I've always had a weird fondness for some of the smaller cities and metros in the state - Wichita Falls definitely is on that list. Couldn't tell you why, but I am looking forward to seeing what's new in The Falls on my next trip. Maybe I can bring back a photo thread a la the ones that @Boris used to do ages ago.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

https://www.texomashomepage.com/news/local-news/downtown-wichita-falls-gains-new-historic-district/

“There are 12 contributing properties from 9th to 10th on Indiana Ave, that [are] now nationally recognized as historic structures,” Downtown Wichita Falls Development Executive Director Jana Schmader said.

The Indiana District is already home to multiple businesses that have been around for years, and Schmader said this new designation serves as protection for the historic buildings.

“As a preservationist, it just enables the district to make sure those buildings are safe and they get extra measures by city and state to make sure that they’re not demolished and that they are nationally registered as that,” Schmader said."

• 3 months later...

The old Holiday Inn by the Falls may not be long for this world. 

https://www.timesrecordnews.com/story/news/local/2023/07/27/abandoned-hotel-by-the-falls-may-come-down/70476288007/

"The ordinance proposes using the power of eminent domain, if necessary, for the acquisition of the property.

The land would be turned into a public park. The city already owns adjacent land, including an RV park and a recently acquired 14 acre tract of open land."

The Delta Hotel by the MPEC will open soon.

https://www.newschannel6now.com/2023/07/26/delta-hotels-close-completion/

"The goal is to have the hotel open by Hotter N’ Hell but at the latest early September. Pugh said Wichita Falls can only grow from the hotel."

Edited by ChannelTwoNews
link

• 2 months later...

https://www.texomashomepage.com/news/local-biz/delta-hotel-the-wait-is-over/

https://www.newschannel6now.com/2023/09/14/delta-hotel-wichita-falls-is-officially-now-open/

"WICHITA FALLS, Texas (KAUZ) - The Delta Hotel by Marriott in Wichita Falls is now open to guests after breaking ground back in October 2021.

The first two guests to stay checked in at 3:00 p.m. on September, 13 with the doors officially opening. They were welcomed by several people who had a hand in the building of this new facility."

• 2 months later...

New apartments ready to lease in downtown Wichita Falls (texomashomepage.com)

"Contractors have been hard at work completely renovating the former Crescent Plaza Hotel into brand-new upscale apartment units. Kelty said although it’s been a challenging five years, seeing The Kate Apartments nearing completion makes it all worth it."

Edited by ChannelTwoNews