Finding Framers

ldogg

So I might need to employ some framers for a little remodeling/rehab work. It would involve potentially framing out 2 exterior walls and tying a roof over an addition into the original roof.

I do not like hiring GCs or general remodeling companies as they charge too much. Instead I'd like to find a framing crew and have them bid the job as I spec it. My issue I guess is finding a framing crew to do the work. Should I just look in the yellow pages, and if so what should I look for primarily, OR, should I stop by construction sites when framers are working and ask them who their boss is and to bid my job??

How do builders find their labor?

Thanks..

Its tough to get a framing crew to do a small job but not impossible. I would think stopping by a site would be your best bet. Looking through yellow pages would be worthless IMO.

Finding good trades is one of the toughest things to do in this business. I have just now worked up a good list of trades (except tile guy and electrician). Actually the electrician isn't bad just not real reliable as far as showing up when I think they are ahowing up. Generally you find the trades at the jobsite, by word of mouth or better yet just keep the ones you like working as much as you can.

Its tough to get a framing crew to do a small job but not impossible. I would think stopping by a site would be your best bet. Looking through yellow pages would be worthless IMO.

Finding good trades is one of the toughest things to do in this business. I have just now worked up a good list of trades (except tile guy and electrician). Actually the electrician isn't bad just not real reliable as far as showing up when I think they are ahowing up. Generally you find the trades at the jobsite, by word of mouth or better yet just keep the ones you like working as much as you can.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Just find a new home site, find the Jefe' and negotiate a price.

Cool... I was worried about the implication of getting someone who is already working at the time.... the job I've got would literally be a 1 day job for any decent framing crew including getting the roof on... 2 says at worst... it's only a 15x14 room that already has 2 walls that are staying...

would I be wasting my time going through business cards at Lowes and/or HD?

Leave the business cards at Lowe's or Home Depot where they are. If you want a remodel framer, go to a remodel job and find a crew. New construction framers probably won't be interested in a one day job unless someone on the crew wants to do it on the side.

Good luck, you're quest won't be easy.