Jetero Intercontinental Airport

plumber2

Holy Crap! I need a drink.

Did y'all know that orginally IAH was to be named Jetero Airpark. The name was changed at the last minute by city promoters who thought Houston needed a more international image. The present Will Clayton Parkway was named Jetero Blvd. for several years.

I haven't been out there other than to pick up a vistor or two in years. Lets see, is it the Bush International Mickey Leeland Intercontinental Airport? Maybe Jetero wasn't such a bad name after all.

• Like 1

Holy Crap! I need a drink.

Did y'all know that orginally IAH was to be named Jetero Airpark. The name was changed at the last minute by city promoters who thought Houston needed a more international image. The present Will Clayton Parkway was named Jetero Blvd. for several years.

I haven't been out there other than to pick up a vistor or two in years. Lets see, is it the Bush International Mickey Leeland Intercontinental Airport? Maybe Jetero wasn't such a bad name after all.

I think I've said this before, but I've heard that "Jetero" was actually a clerical typo in the county recording office. It was supposed to be "Jet Era". The name applied to the land that was aquired for building the airport -- Jet Era Ranch -- just a name to put on the title for the land transaction. I've never heard that "Jetero Airpark" was a serious suggestion. The story I heard was that IAH intended to move the name "Houston International" from the present Hobby Airport. The idea to make it sound more important was to upgrade "International" to "Intercontinental".

I don't remember when the Will Clayton Parkway name became official. I think it was maybe as recent as 10-12 years ago, though. There was never a big exit sign on 59 for it until the newest overpasses were built. I remember seeing the small road signs for Jetero within the time I've lived here -- which is going on 20 years, now.

Edited by dalparadise