Kindred Spirits Club At 5245 Buffalo Spdwy.

2fatcats

I remember Kindred Spirits on Richmond near the Loop. The one I went to on Buffalo Speedway was in the 90's and called the Ranch. Had 3 clubs, I think, but I was only in the techno one.

The orginal Kindred Spirits was in a strip center on Buffalo Speedway next door to Luby's (now gone) at Bissonnet. It had an upper level and was a very nice club, much nicer than the location they moved to at the loop.

The Ranch actually started out on South Main in a small strip center and their advertisements said "Houston's Highlight is the Ranch". Betsy Worden bought it out and moved to the old strip center on Buffalo Speedway around the corner. It was the largest square footage Gay Women's bar in the country. One club was the Ranch which was primarily country and western, the techno club was called Extasy and at the far end was the quiet bar called Ms. B's. There was also a large patio outside with a bar, barbeque pit and volleyball court. She lived at the end of the building in a loft style area filled with antiques and a huge antique oak bar several feet long was the centerpiece of this. At the other end of the building she had one tenant, a small frame shop that you didn't even notice unless you were looking pretty hard for it. It was quite the place to go at the time. The whole place was torn down after she closed up shop and now it is a small subdivision with new two story houses. A little more trivia on this, before Ms. Worden moved in, several years earlier there had been a club housed in one end of the building called Dome Shadows which was a rock and roll place I believe. It burned at one point, but that area of the building was rebuilt. Where Ms. B's was located was once a primarily black club called Mr. B's and most of the interior of this was left intact when the Ranch went into operation. It was always said by Both Betsy Worden and her employees that the building was haunted, they would hear noises before the place opened and late at night such as doors opening and shutting and the beer taps coming on by themselves particularly down at the Ranch/Dome Shadows end of the building that had burned.

Edit:
NHKHKjM.jpg

3zXHmSF.jpg

• The title was changed to Kindred Spirits Club At 5245 Buffalo Spdwy.

Archived