One's A Meal Restaurant At 5304 Almeda Rd.

brucesw

Have I missed One's-A-Meal in this thread?  They were dine-ins with counters and booths, specializing in breakfast and sandwich fare.  They were mostly downtown and south to southwest of downtown in the 50's.  Ones I remember were one next to the River Oaks theater, one in the Village, one at Richmond and Shepherd, and one near the old Delman theater.  Any still around?

One's-A-Meal has been around since the 30s. In the 60s there was one on Almeda at Southmore, or a few blocks south of there. Compared to the boarding house I was living in, the food was heavenly. The only thing I remember from the menu was the hamburger steak smothered in mushroom gravy. They were called Brooks System Sandwich Shops - One's-A-Meal.

One's-A-Meal has been around since the 30s.  In the 60s there was one on Almeda at Southmore, or a few blocks south of there.  Compared to the boarding house I was living in, the food was heavenly.  The only thing I remember from the menu was the hamburger steak smothered in mushroom gravy.  They were called Brooks System Sandwich Shops - One's-A-Meal.

You're right about the one on Almeda. I had forgotten about that one. I lived in an apartment in the 1800 block of Ewing, and it was just around the corner a few blocks away. One of my favorites was their Texas Special...an open-faced hamburger with cheese and covered with chili.

• The title was changed to One's A Meal Restaurant At 5304 Almeda Rd.

Archived