Is It Me Or Is Sugar Land Getting Too Rich For Me?

chechnya

The title needs to be changed to "Is it just me, or is Sugar Land getting dangerous?" Everytime you turn around, there is a home break-in. I'd never live in Sugar Land. Personally, I think The Woodlands is far a classier place than Sugar Land. IMO of course.

The title needs to be changed to "Is it just me, or is Sugar Land getting dangerous?" Everytime you turn around, there is a home break-in. I'd never live in Sugar Land. Personally, I think The Woodlands is far a classier place than Sugar Land. IMO of course.

I guess you don't realize that Sugar Land is known for its low crime rate. Here are stats comparing the crime rate in Sugar Land vs. The Woodlands per 100,000 people (31-36 vs. 48).

See the attached 2006 crime report for Sugar Land. Crime is actually declining while remaining over half the Texas average. Violent crime is declining as well and a mere 1/4 of the Texas average.

2006 Sugar Land Crime Report

For comparison, here is Sugar Land vs. Houston (Sugar Land's crime rate is not even a quarter of Houston's):

31-36 vs. 125-371

Here is Sugar Land vs. Katy:

31-36 vs. 68-127

And for those of you who think Missouri City is crime-ridden, here is Sugar Land vs. Missouri City:

31-36 vs. 36-80

I think that proves that the SW suburbs are among the safest in the metro area. Not to mention that it was ranked #3 in the nation as the best place to live and #8 in the nation as the best place to raise your family.

I have no idea what you are talking about. If you are referring to the development, that's personal opinion. Its all pretty plastic. If you are talking about the residents, classlessness is everywhere and I saw plenty of it in the Woodlands. I see plenty of it everywhere.

I guess you don't realize that Sugar Land is known for its low crime rate. Here are stats comparing the crime rate in Sugar Land vs. The Woodlands per 100,000 people (31-36 vs. 48).

See the attached 2006 crime report for Sugar Land. Crime is actually declining while remaining over half the Texas average. Violent crime is declining as well and a mere 1/4 of the Texas average.

2006 Sugar Land Crime Report

For comparison, here is Sugar Land vs. Houston (Sugar Land's crime rate is not even a quarter of Houston's):

31-36 vs. 125-371

Here is Sugar Land vs. Katy:

31-36 vs. 68-127

And for those of you who think Missouri City is crime-ridden, here is Sugar Land vs. Missouri City:

31-36 vs. 36-80

I think that proves that the SW suburbs are among the safest in the metro area. Not to mention that it was ranked #3 in the nation as the best place to live and #8 in the nation as the best place to raise your family.

Those stats mean nothing to me. I've seen the news enough times with Sugar Land Home Break-ins as the big story to know differently. There's also a difference in violent crime (Sugar Land) vs petty crime like knocking over porterpotties or drugs. Know that's one thing that Sugar Land may have over The Woodlands is a lack of drugs. The Woodlands is full of it.

Edited by wxman

Those stats mean nothing to me. I've seen the news enough times with Sugar Land Home Break-ins as the big story to know differently. There's also a difference in violent crime (Sugar Land) vs petty crime like knocking over porterpotties or drugs. Know that's one thing that Sugar Land may have over The Woodlands is a lack of drugs. The Woodlands is full of it.

You can't base any opinion about crime rates on news reports. Local news is in the business of peddling fear. They will report the worst of the worst, giving a skewed perspective of reality. Why would you believe them over the actual statistics?

So basically you're going to believe what you want, or rather what the news wants you to believe - no matter how many facts are presented to counter your, I mean the news' opinion.

There's a difference in violent crime (Sugar Land) and petty crime (The Woodlands). I'm not saying The Woodlands doesn't have violent things happen, but you sure don't hear about home burglaries the way you do in Sugar Land. The Woodlands has a drug problem. I'd rather that than the alternative.

Here is an article talking about it. Do a search yourself through the Chronicle or your favorite news channel.

http://www.sugarlandtoday.com/features/hom...e=2452883-50757

"Over the last few weeks, Greatwood and Sugar Land have been gripped by a wave of home theft, from stealing equipment in garages to kicking in doors to aggravated night robberies. Although the people and the reasons may be different, there are a number of simple things that all of us can do, without hiring a contractor, to improve the safety and security of our homes."

That's just one of many I can pull.

Here's another one:

http://www.sugarlandtx.gov/tools/np/progra...208&level=3

12 violent crims just in the last year. Yet they call themselves a safe city. I'm sure ther's more if I looked harder.

Edited by wxman

There's a difference in violent crime (Sugar Land) and petty crime (The Woodlands). I'm not saying The Woodlands doesn't have violent things happen, but you sure don't hear about home burglaries the way you do in Sugar Land. The Woodlands has a drug problem. I'd rather that than the alternative.

You can compare the personal vs. property crime for both areas by following the links I posted earlier. I'll do you the favor of checking out the cold, hard facts. Please see below:

Sugar Land

Personal (violent) crime: 24-32

Property (petty) crime: 35-36

The Woodlands

Personal (violent) crime: 36

Property (petty) crime: 56

As you can see, Sugar Land is lower on both counts. What's your next argument? Are you going to point me toward YouTube?

You can compare the personal vs. property crime for both areas by following the links I posted earlier. I'll do you the favor of checking out the cold, hard facts. Please see below:

Sugar Land

Personal (violent) crime: 24-32

Property (petty) crime: 35-36

The Woodlands

Personal (violent) crime: 36

Property (petty) crime: 56

As you can see, Sugar Land is lower on both counts. What's your next argument? Are you going to point me toward YouTube?

ProHouston: Which site did it come from?

First of all, I'm pretty sure that after typing in The Woodlands on that website that Spring is what is pulled up. Maybe you didn't notice, but two of those zip codes aren't even in The Woodlands. 77386 is considered Spring and 77385 is considered Conroe. Maybe you don't have your fact's right.

First of all, I'm pretty sure that after typing in The Woodlands on that website that Spring is what is pulled up. Maybe you didn't notice, but two of those zip codes aren't even in The Woodlands. 77386 is considered Spring and 77385 is considered Conroe. Maybe you don't have your fact's right.

Nope, I've got my facts right, and thanks for visiting the site. Type in 77382 as your zip code though.

Edited by ProHouston

Nope, I've got my facts right, and thanks for visiting the site. Type in 77382 as your zip code though.

I lived in 77382. There were two car break-ins,three incidents of vehicle vandalism just for fun, theft from the a few vehicles, a peeping Tom who walked into the houses during the day, a grill stole out of the summer kitchen, attempted child somethingeranother at the local park, a person in a neighbors back yard after 10pm who was not a fellow neighbor, and a domestic dispute that was pretty bad....and this was all on one street, over two and half years. I lived in 77057 for 12 years (which has a much higher number than both these areas) and the only thing that happened on our street was some cars getting tagged. My guess is because we actually HAD police coverage, they knew the area, and many did off -duty patrol for the association.

So there is my unofficial crime report from one street in 77382. The Woodlands NEVER put stuff on there Crime Watch page, it was so annoying. They don't like to report the crime, its bad publicity. Development looking out for itself at every turn.

There's a difference in violent crime (Sugar Land) and petty crime (The Woodlands). I'm not saying The Woodlands doesn't have violent things happen, but you sure don't hear about home burglaries the way you do in Sugar Land.
So again, you're choosing to only believe what the news tells you, inspite of the fact there are people posting non-biased crime stats showing a different result? You also have to take into account distance. Its far easier for any of the news stations to run south to Sugar Land to report a home-invasion, compared to going to the Woodlands to do the same. KPRC is only 10 minutes away, KHWB, KRIV, & KTRK are all only 20 minutes away from Sugar Land. The closest news station to the Woodlands is KHOU, at 45 minutes away. Nothing is going to get reported in the Woodlands unless 1. it's a major story, or 2. its an extremely slow news day.
The Woodlands has a drug problem. I'd rather that than the alternative.
All towns have a drug problem, it's called teenagers. The fact the Woodlands is known for their drug problem, IMO, is far worse that Sugar Land being known for burglaries. This basically means that the residents of the Woodlands are the criminals (drug-users), where as the residents of Sugar Land are the victims (of burglaries).

I could care less either way which town is "worse" as they are both top-tier towns in the first place.