Rain Restaurant - 5701 Washington Ave.

CrockpotandGravel

This thread was originally created February 4, 2016. I'm reposting / reupping this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum.  An archive link  will be posted soon.

Mods, please don't move this to the Heights forum where all of my Washington Corridor posts were moved to. This is NOT in the Heights and it's not part of the  Greater Heights area. It's the Washington Corridor area, an area that as suggested and advocated for previously needs its own forum because there is lots of development happening here, much spurred by the Sawyer Yards and Buffalo Heights developments. That in itself usually merits the creation for a new neighborhood forum. Thanks.

The property at 5701 Washington Avenue along the Washington Corridor in Rice Military, last occupied by Wabash Feed & Garden Store has been scooped up according to a recent report. The antique and garden store is relocating to 4537 North Shepherd Drive (4537 N Shepherd Dr). In the past, it's housed Edward's Plumbing Company and Crestwood Cleaners.

7TZM2N7.jpg

• Like 1

This was originally posted  February 4, 2016 in the previous thread for 5701 Washington Ave. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

From Swamplot last May:

Like Wabash Feed & Garden on Washington Ave? Now You Can Buy the Land It’s Sitting On

How long can an old-timey Wabash Feed & Garden Store hold out on a totally transformed Washington Ave.? Until the 25,551-sq.-ft. site stretching between Birdsall and Malone gets snatched up. A new commercial listing for the property at 5701 Washington Ave. was posted recently by Boyd Commercial.

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

This was originally posted  February 4, 2016 in the previous thread for 5701 Washington Ave. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

The Creek Group expands to Washington Avenue, moving to Wabash Feed & Garden Store's former location at 5701 Washington Ave.

More from The Leader:

Creek Group Purchases Former Wabash Location

Things are moving quickly at the former site of the Wabash Feed and Garden Store in the Heights.

On January 15, The sale of Wabash Feed and Garden located at 5701 Washington Ave., was concluded. Popular Wabash is moving to a larger location at 4537 North Shepherd Dr., and the old property was purchased by Gary Mosley, owner of the locally grown, and highly successful Creek Group of restaurants.

The old space on Washington Ave. has been occupied by Wabash since 1987, when the area was “still kind of dicey,” said Wabash’s founder/owner,

Betty Heacker. Today, the corridor is a thriving artery of businesses, houses and town homes.

The Wabash property occupies 25,513 square feet, hosts a 3,500-square-foot building and 216 feet of frontage on Washington Ave. There is also a big tree growing right in the middle of the main building.

Mosley, who resides in the Heights with his wife and three daughters, has committed to construct another of his casual restaurants on the location. He even intends to keep the tree. “I do not like to cut down trees,” Mosley said, “I’m kind of a tree-hugger.”

Mosley and his Creek Group have nearly elevated comfortable, affordable, neighborhood dining spots to an art form. The group includes the Heights’ Onion Creek, Cedar Creek, Dry Creek, and Canyon Creek, with the recent addition of Lowbrow and The Daily Review Cafe, both in Montrose, and now the Wabash location on Washington Ave. Mosley says he has a name in mind for the new spot, but is letting it settle in a bit before sharing it.

Will Mosley be razing the old Wabash? “I usually try to buy old buildings, and save them instead of tearing them down like we always do in Houston,” said Mosley. “When we do that, we are tearing down our history. Can you imagine if we still had the Shamrock Hotel? The Wabash building has character and I will maintain its integrity. Besides, I really love that front porch.”

Former owner Betty Heacker could not be happier. “I am very pleased that this property is going to Mr. Mosley and that he is going to keep the structure,” she said. “The building is sort of an icon, and he has done this before in other older properties. I am sure he will be very successful here.”

Heacker expects to open at the larger location in May 2016. Keep your eyes on The Leader for more information on the opening of the new “baby creek.”

http://theleadernews.com/community/creek-group-purchases-former-wabash-location/

This was in the previous thread for 5701 Washington Ave. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by BigFootSocks, February 4, 2016 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

The Creek crew is always a solid, if a tad bit uninspired, choice. Good swap for the area. 

This was in the previous thread for 5701 Washington Ave. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by s3mh, February 4, 2016 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

Meanwhile, Wabash got hosed by the planning commission when they dared to seek a set back/sidewalk variance to open a nice new store on N. Shepherd just outside the loop.  

Originally posted by Visitor, February 4, 2016 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

On 2/4/2016 at 7:41 AM, BigFootsSocks said:

The Creek crew is always a solid, if a tad bit uninspired, choice. Good swap for the area.

Agreed, this building looks like a "creek" type of place.  The brunch over at Canyon Creek isn't terrible.  

Wabash Creek up next....?

Originally posted by mkultra25, February 5, 2016 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

On 2/4/2016 at 11:39 AM, s3mh said:

Meanwhile, Wabash got hosed by the planning commission when they dared to seek a set back/sidewalk variance to open a nice new store on N. Shepherd just outside the loop.  

Details? Is this going to delay the opening of the new store, or are they just going to have to rework their plans to account for the variance being denied? 

Originally posted by Crockpotandgravel, February 5, 2016 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

From Houston Chronicle:

Onion Creek owner buys Wabash property on Washington

Gary Mosley, owner of Onion Creek and several other bars and cafes in the Heights area, has purchased the Wabash Feed and Garden Store property at 5701 Washington Ave.

After 26 years, Wabash owner Betty Heaker is moving her store to a larger spot north of Loop 610.

"We're like the old lady and the shoe here," Heaker said. "We've run out of space and there's just no more available parking."

More here:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Wabash-on-Washington-6807147.php

Originally posted by InTheLoopFromNYC, February 8, 2016 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

This is a solid replacement for Wabash Feed & Garden as the Creek Group will likely maintain and build upon the character of the building and put it to a much better use. Wabash's live chickens, et al, were a quirky conversation piece for the neighborhood but it was a niche venue at best. The new restaurant will get much higher use and will be a positive for the area. This bet will likely payoff big for the Creek Group, especially with all of the future residents moving into Elan Memorial Park and Pearl Washington (sorry Dwayne "Pearl" Washington (Google it!)).

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, February 9, 2016 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

From Houston Chronicle yesterday:

Wabash, the beloved urban feed store, is moving

The store cat, a gray-and-black tabby named Max, bats around a red string hanging from a display case of pet vitamins as workers stock shelves and wheel dollies stacked with feed bags.

Behind the counter, a clerk assures a customer on the phone that there are roosters in stock, while a young woman in yoga pants and sunglasses hurries in to buy a bag of dog food.

The Wabash Feed & Garden Store, an old-school feed store on Washington Avenue, has held onto its countrified charm and appeal even as trendy restaurants, hipster bars and luxury townhouses in the Rice Military and Memorial Park areas began to surround it. But in recent years, property taxes have soared, and the store loses business because there's not enough parking.

More here:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Wabash-the-beloved-urban-feed-store-is-moving-6815901.php

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, February 20, 2016 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

Earlier this week from Houston Business Journal:

Houston nightlife vet talks new Washington Heights project

The Wabash Feed & Garden Store, an iconic and quirky Washington Heights staple, is moving to a new location at 4537 N. Shepherd Drive after more than 25 years on Washington Avenue. And Gary Mosley, owner of The Creek Group, which is behind Houston bars such as Onion Creek and Cedar Creek, already has plans to develop the feed store into his latest nightlife offering.

Mosley bought and closed on the land roughly two weeks ago for an undisclosed price. He said it will likely be the first bar in the group to not bear the Creek name, but should still bring the familiar relaxed, Hill Country-vibe. The Wabash store will be renovated and not torn down.

"My plan is to continue to keep the … feed store feel, and incorporate that to the cafe and bar," Mosley said. "(It will) feel like all the other Creeks."

For now, the Wabash store is still up and running, and Mosley is letting the store's owner run shop until her lease expires near the end of the summer. He said his new bar and cafe won't be open this year, since he likely won't begin renovations until near the end of the year. He's working with several designers on conceptualizing the project, but didn't disclose which studios.

"Because of the high density in the area, (we should see) families pushing baby carts and young people who are moving into the apartments down there," Mosley said. "It'll be a diverse clientele. (The Creek Group's) bars all have their different customer bases, and one of the things we strive to be is a family-type environment that's mixed-in with the younger crowd."

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2016/02/houston-nightlife-vet-talks-new-washington-heights.html

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, March 10, 2016 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

Once Wabash moves, Gary Mosley will begin work on his new bar. It won't have another creek name but is being billed as Driftwood.

From Houston Chronicle:

Creek' creator to keep integrity of Wabash Feed

The man who brought a little bit of the Hill Country to Houston with Onion Creek, Dry Creek, Canyon Creek and Cedar Creek is opening a new Creek Group eatery - his first since 2008. The new Washington Corridor restaurant-bar will be called "Driftwood" and will retain the "countrified" theme of the Creek Group's other ventures.Driftwood will move into the old Wabash Feed & Garden Store 5701 Washington, after Wabash relocates to a larger space near Garden Oaks.

Creek Group owner Gary Mosley said he anticipates a 2017 opening for Driftwood.

Mosley said there isn't much to change in respect to the Wabash building, which has been a beloved quirky, country-style institution in Houston for 26 years where locals flock to buy farm, pet and garden supplies; as well as fresh organic eggs and craft brews."There are so many icons that have been torn down, and it's kind of sad," Mosley said. "The Creek Group believes in preserving buildings and trees. We're going to respect the integrity of that landmark, it already represents the Creek Group."

More about what Mosley has in mind for Driftwood:

He wants Driftwood to fit the Hill Country theme that dominates his other restaurants, and following an organic method of idea-hatching, he said he looked at Wabash and immediately envisioned his childhood standing on the banks of Lake Travis, watching pieces of driftwood as they passed by under the Texas sun. "I just thought of the driftwood, and that name fit," Mosley said.

Mosley has named and designed all of his restaurants himself, and said he will do the same for Driftwood. He has a warehouse brimming with items he has picked up here and there, mostly things that represent a piece of history.

"I just look in my warehouse and see what fits," Mosley said of his design process.

The food menu is not yet set, but Mosley said he will stick to comfort food, and plans to offer breakfast, lunch and dinner. Driftwood will also feature a full bar.

Whether live entertainment will be a part of Driftwood's future is uncertain, but Mosley still has a few dreams for the grand opening.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/neighborhood/heights/news/article/Creek-creator-to-keep-integrity-of-Wabash-Feed-6879283.php

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, June 23, 2017 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

From Houston Chronicle in March on the 5701 Washington Avenue site that housed  Edward's Plumbing Company, Crestwood Cleaners, and Wabash Feed Store:

The owner of the now-empty Wabash Feed & Garden building on Washington Avenue has put the property back on the market, just about a year after buying it.

CBRE is listing the 1,787-square-foot building, on 25,513 square feet of land, for $3.2 million. For a ground lease, the rent would be $250,000 a year.

The homey property at 5701 Washington Ave. held the beloved Wabash store for decades. The countrified spot saw the area around it grow into one of the city's densest neighborhoods chock full of bars, restaurants and closely packed townhomes.

The longtime owner of Wabash said rising property taxes and a lack of parking led to the decision to sell. A new Wabash recently opened north of the Heights.

Gary Mosley of popular Heights bar and restaurant Onion Creek bought the property early last year with plans to convert it to a cafe. He put the building up for lease several months later, saying he decided to focus on other projects.

http://www.chron.com/business/real-estate/article/Wabash-property-on-Washington-on-market-for-3-2-10993572.php?cmpid=twitter-desktop

Also on Swamplot
http://swamplot.com/wabash-feed-store-back-up-for-sale-again-after-all/2017-03-13/

The property is still up for sale according to a recently updated Loopnet listing:
http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/20196470/5701-Washington-Ave-Houston-TX/

Originally posted by HoustonVol, September 24,, 2017 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

Anyone know whats going on at the old Wabash? They have gutted the interior and removed the lean-tos. No longer listed on the market according to loop net. 

Originally posted by InTheLoopFromNYC, October 5, 2017 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

Van Nuys patio bar/lounge per sign on the building and a new Facebook page. They're demolishing the section to the west and building a second floor.

Originally posted by Crockpotandgravel, November 6, 2017 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

On 10/5/2017 at 3:00 PM, InTheLoopFromNYC said:

Van Nuys patio bar/lounge per sign on the building and a new Facebook page. They're demolishing the section to the west and building a second floor.

Van Nuys will be a champagne lounge (on their Facebook page) replacing Wabash Feed & Garden Store's old location at 5701 Washington Ave.

https://www.facebook.com/vannuyshouston

Van Nuys is from club promoters or club owners of Aura.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTK92gqhwrA

This is the old man in me coming out, but I would have liked for Gary Mosley to open something here. He, at least, would keep the integrity of the building and the landscape. With these people, who knows.

Originally posted by Texasota, November 7, 2017 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

I do *not* trust anything about this proposal. This sounds like another Washington Avenue special that will be open for maybe a year and then sit vacant again. 

Originally posted by Crockpotandgravel, November 10, 2017 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

On 11/6/2017 at 7:10 PM, Texasota said:

I do *not* trust anything about this proposal. This sounds like another Washington Avenue special that will be open for maybe a year and then sit vacant again. 

Me either. I'm not against clubs, but I'm certain something else could have gone here that would better utilize the character of the existing space.

Originally posted by Crockpotandgravel, March 25, 2018 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

Van Nuys changed the name to Warsaw or Warsaw Houston. This is replacing Wabash Feed & Garden Store's old location at 5701 Washington Ave.

https://www.facebook.com/WarsawHouston/

Originally posted by Crockpotandgravel, August 4, 2018 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

Another name change for the club moving into the 5701 Washington Ave space (Wabash Feed's old space). The new name is Axis & Alibi.

https://www.facebook.com/axisalibihouston/

I can't find pictures of the remodel and there is no opening date on the Facebook page.

The club owners of Axis & Alibi, also behind Aura, are also opening a bar some place in the Heights. The name of the Heights bar is Arbor House.

Originally posted by InTheLoopFromNYC, August 8 2018 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

On 11/6/2017 at 7:10 PM, Texasota said:

I completely get your skepticism given the track record of some of the Washington Ave "specials." Thats said, like the owners of Clutch and Concrete Cowboy, these guys have spent beaucoup bucks on a quality rehabilitation of the space (unlike the joke that was LaRoux, for instance), so I have some degree of optimism. Biggest concern is the possibility of loud music and the surrounding residential neighbors.

Originally posted by skooljunkie, August 9, 2018 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

I smile every day I pass the lot that was home to La Roux that one year.

Originally posted by Crockpotandgravel, September 21, 2018 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

Progress picture from July of Axis & Alibi at 5701 Washington Ave space (Wabash Feed's old space).

From Facebook

JuXFyiG.jpg

Originally posted by Crockpotandgravel, September 26, 2018 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

An update on the transformation of the Wabash Feed Store at 5701 Washington Ave into club Axis & Alibi.

From Swamplot:

Here’s what the former Wabash Feed & Garden Store on Washington looks like with a second level stacked on top of its original storefront. Workers are now climbing around the outdoor portions of the new upstairs, setting the scene for what’s coming next.

http://swamplot.com/wabash-feed-gardens-growth-spurt-sets-the-scene-for-nightlife/2018-09-21/

5QAg11O.jpg

GELLRdQ.jpg

Originally posted by Visitor, September 27, 2018 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

Is it terrible I'm hoping this fails and the chance for something better opens back up?

Originally posted by Crockpotandgravel, September 27, 2018 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

On 9/27/2018 at 12:20 AM, Visitor said:

Is it terrible I'm hoping this fails and the chance for something better opens back up?

No. Clubs have a short shelf life in Houston and this one won't be any different.

I hate the Creek Group couldn't make a go of it here. They would have restored the building and kept the charm of the property.  The renovations are okay and it's good seeing the tree remain, but I don't care for it.

Originally posted by InTheLoopFromNYC, October 8, 2018 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

These folks are putting significant money into the structure and property unlike many of the fly-by-night clubs that come and go on Washington. If they wanted to make a quick buck and move out in the middle of the night, they would have put a fraction of the dollars into the renovation and opened months ago. I for one am wishing them luck and hope they are a good neighbor to those immediately adjacent. BTW, I agree that the Creek concept would have been great here, keeping it more in the spirit of the departed Wabash Antiques structure, but I'm really happy to see the investment the new owners are making.

Originally posted by CrockpotandGravel, November 26, 2018 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

Axis & Alibi at 5701 Washington Ave  (Wabash Feed's old space) may open by year's end.

Renderings from  Facebook:

lLnIa7e.jpg

VPSRqjJ.jpg

7uLIvbC.jpg

6r75AGq.jpg

SwwaLXp.jpg

Originally posted by Visitor, November 26, 2018 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

I will be pleasantly surprised if the hardscaping and landscaping looks anything like those renderings. 

Originally posted by Crockpotandgravel, January 18, 2019 in the thread for 5701 Washington Ave.

Axis & Alibi, was Wabash Feed & Garden Store  at 5701 Washington Avenue in Houston, is opening soon.

The website is up with updates
https://www.axisalibihtx.com

And there is a video of the 3-D model rendering of the redeveloped property.