Galveston Redevelopment

1212palmterrace5gh.jpg

^^I used to play basketball on those courts, glad to see it go.. -_-

Redevelopment in the works

By Marty Schladen

The Daily News

Published December 12, 2005

GALVESTON — "The Galveston Housing Authority and the city are considering a partnership to redevelop the nine acres on which the Palm Terrace public-housing complex used to sit.

The housing authority has taken the lead on the $6.55 million redevelopment, but the city might provide about $1 million worth of services. Energy and real estate magnate George Mitchell has also put up $1.25 million for the project..."

http://www.galvestondailynews.com/story.la...a70c588f8de1c2e

I didn't realize that Katrina hit Galveston!

Seriously, though, I was really surprised that there are so many very very crappy areas of Galveston. On ehtree occasions while cutting through the neighborhoods to get from the seawall to I-45 I've had things thrown at my car by thugs sitting on their porches.

Not good for the tourist industry.

I didn't realize that Katrina hit Galveston!

Seriously, though, I was really surprised that there are so many very very crappy areas of Galveston. On ehtree occasions while cutting through the neighborhoods to get from the seawall to I-45 I've had things thrown at my car by thugs sitting on their porches.

Not good for the tourist industry.

Really, things thrown at your car? Editor, were you sightseeing in the hood ? j/k

I wouldn't suggest doing the same thing in Chicago, Robert Taylor is bound to be a bit rougher than ol G-Town. :D

Really, things thrown at your car? Editor, were you sightseeing in the hood ? j/k

I wouldn't suggest doing the same thing in Chicago, Robert Taylor is bound to be a bit rougher than ol G-Town. :D

The first time my car got pelted, it was with eggs. It was a few days before Halloween so I wasn't really mad.

But then it happened a few more times over the months following. I don't know what the objects were, but one made a pretty serious ding in my trunk. I never went back to Galveston after that.

I've heard about Robert Taylor Homes, but haven't been through there yet. I guess that's where all the thugs went since there's almost nothing left of Cabrini Green. Still, every time I pass Cabrini on the train I can't help but hum the "Good Times" theme in my head.

• 7 months later...

housingey6.jpg

photo by Chad Greene

In the coming weeks, a neighborhood will begin to rise on the former site of a public housing complex.

I can't tell you how exciting it is to see this project finally reaching this point, said Sharon Strain, executive director of the Galveston Housing Authority.

The new subdivision, called The Oaks, will cover the roughly 9.25 acres once occupied by Palm Terrace.

Where 228 apartments once stood soon will stand 34 single-family homes and 10 smaller duplexes for senior citizens. The project will cover more than three square blocks along Ball Street, directly east of the housing authority's Island Community Center.

Link

• 5 weeks later...
I like the structures, not the rising cost of living because of them.

My last comment was half-sarcasm, btw.

But it doesn't seem like these are going to cause a rise in the cost of living (except that the City is spending people's tax money rather than giving it back to the people). After all, this is affordable housing that they're talking about.

Archived