Future Conversions Of Postwar Class B Office Space

mattyt36

On 4/22/2020 at 4:03 PM, mattyt36 said:

Not sure why the current administration (if you mean Turner) deserves blame for not attracting new non-energy companies here.  We haven't competed seriously in a long time.  The periodic energy sector relocations like Oxy clouds everyones' mind, I think.

Does anyone even remember the last non-energy company that moved HQ here, not to mention one that set up shop downtown?  I'm at a loss.  Continental?  That doesn't even really count considering TI was here before.  Major corporate expansion?  Ford?  That was a call center.  Seems like the major announcements have been more in the industrial sector.  Absolutely nothing on par with what Dallas has gotten in the last decade.  (I have no idea why anyone would think that was an attractive place to live, but I digress.)  

The 5 (or whatever) recent 100-year floods is certainly going to kick us off the list for another decade, and that's assuming we don't have more.

I'm not saying it's bad.  Not like Miami or Los Angeles have fared particularly well in this regard, either.

On the other hand, if remote working initiatives and automation increase, given the experiences with the work-from-home lockdown, then city-office spaces will be less and less necessary, as companies realize that they can save lots of overhead. Thus, the concept of economic activity being tied to anyone city would become a thing of the past.

• The title was changed to Future Conversions Of Postwar Class B Office Space

Archived