Schools Outside Of Attendance Zone In Hisd

gnu

HISD has open enrollment and a magnet school program. How does HISD determine who gets to go to a school when they do not live in that school's attendance zone. Is it by racial demographics? by grades? by the family's standard of living? by occupation (i.e. if the parents are musicians and the kid wants to go to a music magnet school, etc)?

Seems like if anyone could go to any school they wanted then West U Elem (or whatever the good schools are) would be overcrowded to the gills.

For regular programs, a person may go to another school as long as:

* He or she is able to get his or her own transportation

* There is enough room at the school

* The transfer will bind for the rest of the school year

For magnet schools, the kid applies to one, and the school decides if it will accept him or her. Check with the school on admissions.

And what you are saying is happening. Lamar, Bellaire, and Westside High Schools (the popular HISD high schools) have populations of over 3,000.

Edited by VicMan

For regular programs, a person may go to another school as long as:

* He or she is able to get his or her own transportation

* There is enough room at the school

* The transfer will bind for the rest of the school year

For magnet schools, the kid applies to one, and the school decides if it will accept him or her. Check with the school on admissions.

And what you are saying is happening. Lamar, Bellaire, and Westside High Schools (the popular HISD high schools) have populations of over 3,000.

Aren't most schools in HISD a magnet school for something?

So are you saying that if a school has a magnet program then you just can't go there if you satisfy your three bullet points?

Is there a way to tell if a school has room?

Let me give a specific example. I have friends that are moving into HISD but will not be living in west u or river oaks etc. Are you saying that if they wanted their son to go to West University Elementary, all they need is guarantee that they will get him there for the whole year? Assuming there is room.

In the case of West U Elementary, yes, all you need to get is that there is room there and you will take him to school every day. Also, that decision will be binding for the entire year.

"Aren't most schools in HISD a magnet school for something? "

Most are neighborhood schools.

To check if there is/will be room, call the school and ask for information.

In the case of West U Elementary, yes, all you need to get is that there is room there and you will take him to school every day. Also, that decision will be binding for the entire year.

"Aren't most schools in HISD a magnet school for something? "

Most are neighborhood schools.

To check if there is/will be room, call the school and ask for information.

they also have demographic quotas. ie, you cannot move from a school where you are a minority of one that you are in a majority. Notice that the HISD site includes "Majority-to-Minority" transfers but not visa versa.

they also have demographic quotas. ie, you cannot move from a school where you are a minority of one that you are in a majority. Notice that the HISD site includes "Majority-to-Minority" transfers but not visa versa.

I am not sure if they still have those quotas. HISD site doesn't say that it is not possible to do "Minority-to-Majority". However, people who do that kind of transfer must obey the three rules.

As I said earlier, call West U ES and ask about transfers.

I am not sure if they still have those quotas. HISD site doesn't say that it is not possible to do "Minority-to-Majority". However, people who do that kind of transfer must obey the three rules.

As I said earlier, call West U ES and ask about transfers.

Majority-to-Minority Transfers

2005-2006

Description

The Majority-to-Minority transfer is a voluntary transfer offered to a student who wishes to transfer from his or her zoned school, where his or her ethnicity is in the majority, to a school where his or her ethnicity is in the minority.

Number of Schools Eligible for Programs

The Student Transfer Department maintains an annual list of schools eligible for Majority-to-Minority transfers.

Grade Levels Served

Kindergarten through grade 12

Selection Criteria

1. Ethnicity in the majority at zoned school and in the minority at the school to which the student requests to transfer

2. HISD residency

3. One-year commitment

Selection Process

1. Submission of transfer application to the Student Transfer Department (principal

I was in a magnet school from third grade until my senior year in high school.

All I remember was taking a type of IQ test or entrance exam and filling out a couple of forms.

Students were bused over from all over the city. I remember years of waking up at 5am.

Sorry can't tell you how they decided what students would go where, was thinking it was a first come first serve thing for those that would apply.