H-gac Holds Future Planning Meeting In The Woodlands

pineda

Montgomery County population expected to boom

Projections show Montgomery County swelling to more than 1 million inhabitants over three decades.

There will be 1.4 million new households and 1.5 million more jobs, he said.

Montgomery County has one of the highest qualities of life in the area, he said.

"With success comes the interest of other people to live in the area and the challenges of handling that growth," Clark said.

County growth is expected to create the need for 700 new schools and 10 new hospitals over the next 30 years, according to County Judge Alan B. Sadler.

"I think we need three (new hospitals) right now," Sadler said. "This area is one of the most dynamic high-growth areas in Texas."

Estimates right now have the county growing at a rate of 5-6 percent per year, Sadler said. "We never know the exact percent until the next census."

If an area wants to really plan, it needs to have zoning, he said.

Many look at how the city of Houston is doing; it's the fourth-largest city in the United States and it doesn't have zoning, he said.

One issue that surprised Wells was the Texas Department of Transportation talking about more transit, she said.

People also have spoken out against current plans to development transit to the suburban areas along the major highways, Wells said.

"They want them closer to the neighborhood so they can use them," she said.

The H-GAC maps presented did not have projected rail service extending into Montgomery County.

"I don't want them to plan rail for Montgomery County until it comes clear to Conroe. That's where our growth is going to be. The Woodlands as we know it is done," Sadler said.

"We're not going to leave today with a master plan," Clark said. "We're going talk about how to grow and grow in ways the community can achieve its goals."

Edited by pineda

No,

The Woodlands is finishing off there original acreage including the final 3000 acres on the Harris County side.

The Woodlands would be completed unless the development company buys more acreage to develop. Any rail to go there from houston would have to be commuter and it'll probably be just one or maybe two stops in the southern Montgomery County area.

Also, Metro doesn't have any jurisdiction up there. They have to build rail on there own.

I don't think rail will happen any time soon to the Woodlands since TxDOT will be widening I-45 from Downtown to the beltway with HOT lanes soon.

This would be similar to the Katy Freeway expansion. A little cheaper since little right of way accquisition will be needed.

I don't think rail will happen any time soon to the Woodlands since TxDOT will be widening I-45 from Downtown to the beltway with HOT lanes soon.

What do you consider "soon"? I'm not expecting that project to move forward for at least 5 years, and probably more like 10 years (circa 2015) since the Northwest Freeway is next in line for work after the Katy Freeway is done. That would put North Freeway completion around 2020.

This would be similar to the Katy Freeway expansion. A little cheaper since little right of way accquisition will be needed.

Actually, there could be a major right-of-way clearance from Loop 610 to Shepherd, depending on the final design. That section has a very narrow corridor. A major right-of-way clearance would be a good thing to help clean up the clutter, but it won't be cheap and could be controversial. The Woodland Heights neighborhood inside Loop 610 is up in arms over any plan that would acquire property in their area.

I agree that rail won't happen anytime soon since the HOV lane with bus service is far less costly, more flexible, and probably faster to the core of downtown.

• The title was changed to H-gac Holds Future Planning Meeting In The Woodlands