Gigantic Birds

I know yall have seen these birds. They got 9+ foot wingspans. I see the most of em around the addicks reservoir. Damn these are big birds! I saw one of em up close feeding on some carrion. . .these are some ugly ass birds. I'm pretty sure they're north american vultures. Any high school ornithologists out there know anymore about these warm air current gliders? They are majestic are they not?

I know yall have seen these birds. They got 9+ foot wingspans. I see the most of em around the addicks reservoir. Damn these are big birds! I saw one of em up close feeding on some carrion. . .these are some ugly ass birds. I'm pretty sure they're north american vultures. Any high school ornithologists out there know anymore about these warm air current gliders? They are majestic are they not?

If you'll look at the cluster of highrises over off of I-10 and Eldridge, They all roost up there on those buildings. Somedays, there is probably 50 of them gliding around in between all the buildings. It is pretty ominous looking.

Probably plain ol' turkey vultures...I always called them buzzards, but a bird-watcher friend corrected me (true buzzards are actually a type of hawk). Jamaicans call turkey vultures "John Crow"...so if John Crow's around you better watch your back!

h3250pi.giftur2.jpg

Turkey vultures have red heads and some light feathers at the back of their wings. These are the same birds you see eating road kill on highways all over Texas. Out in West Texas, I did see a golden eagle one time eating road kill...all the turkey vultures flew off as I approached, but this one bird stayed put. He eyed me the whole time I drove by (I had slowed down to 5 mph) but he never moved an inch. That was HIS road kill, and not even a car would get him off it!

Edited by Original Timmy Chan's

I know yall have seen these birds. They got 9+ foot wingspans.

No question what you saw were Turkey Vultures as the above poster suggested. Just an FYI, Turkey vultures don't get over 6' wingspans. The only thing you can get confused with a Turkey Vulture would be a black vulture, and its even smaller.

There is only one bird in Houston with a 9' wingspan by the way, and you'd never get it confused with a Turkey Vulture:

peli2.jpg

No question what you saw were Turkey Vultures as the above poster suggested. Just an FYI, Turkey vultures don't get over 6' wingspans. The only thing you can get confused with a Turkey Vulture would be a black vulture, and its even smaller.

There is only one bird in Houston with a 9' wingspan by the way, and you'd never get it confused with a Turkey Vulture:

peli2.jpg

"OOOOOOOOO, look at the Pelican fly, C'mon Pelican !" - Tony Montana in SCARFACE

Yea, I exaggerated the wingspan for effect. Still a big bird though. That 9 footer, what is that an albatross? Have u read stories of the largest birds ever and the largest ones alive today? Yahoo "thunderbirds", skip the car and cheap liquor links, and read the stories of kids getting scooped up by these f***ers. Interesting s**t albeit probable myths. Oh and yahoo "largest bird ever", they got the bones to prove it, this f***er had a 25 FOOT wingspan! Can u imagine sein 1 of these in person?

Yea, I exaggerated the wingspan for effect. Still a big bird though. That 9 footer, what is that an albatross? Have u read stories of the largest birds ever and the largest ones alive today? Yahoo "thunderbirds", skip the car and cheap liquor links, and read the stories of kids getting scooped up by these f***ers. Interesting s**t albeit probable myths. Oh and yahoo "largest bird ever", they got the bones to prove it, this f***er had a 25 FOOT wingspan! Can u imagine sein 1 of these in person?

Have you seen "Lord of the Rings 3". THose were some big ass eagles at the end there. I didn't know New Zealand had such creatures. I wonder how long it took to train them so the actors could ride on their backs ?

Edited by TJones