How Would You Alter The School District Boundaries

VicMan

If you had power over the school district boundaries of Houston, how would you change them?

If I had power over them, I would modify them so that cities generally have one school district apiece. (These are all suggestions by me - This is not happening in real life right now!)

I would increase Houston ISD's boundaries so it would cover the entire city of Houston (including Alief, Spring Branch, Clear Lake, etc), as well as the Memorial Villages (HISD as of date has West U, Bellaire, and Southside Place), while Houston ISD would lose its parts of Pasadena, Missouri City, Pearland, and Jacinto City. For Lake Houston, a new K-8 school should be built along the Lake Houston shoreline while 9-12 would go to Kingwood high schools (which currently are in Humble ISD) until there is a need for a new high school.

This is good as it would place many businesses (Bush Airport, the Space Center) in Houston ISD boundaries. However, to make amends for Clear Creek, I would have the Space Center have to pay taxes to both ISDs at the same time. Also the administrations of Aldine, Alief, North Forest, and Spring Branch ISDs would be consolidated into Houston ISD, with new board seats created to represent those areas.

Schools that come into Houston ISD would establish their own magnet programs. For instance, Aldine HS would have the same program as Sterling HS except with other aviation-related careers as well. Clear Lake HS would have a space sciences program. And so on and so forth.

Houston ISD would be much larger, yes. But it would not be as large as New York City's Department of Education, which presides over (all of) a city of eight million people (although that city square mileage wise is smaller than Houston)

I'm still thinking about what should be done with the other districts...