Radio Station KRBE Location

Joezera

Do any of you remember the building in downtown Houston that held the KRBE radio station when it was a classical music format? This would have been in the early 1960s. I used to listen to them in Luling which was quite some distance from Houston (almost to San Antonio). I visited their studios which were at the time on an upper floor of a high rise building overlooking a park in downtown Houston. I would like to know the name of the building.

The radio station staff were very nice and it was interesting to watch them do their job. They had some top notch audio equipment to provide program content and the control console was very impressive.

Thanks in advance.

That could easily be true. I was not a native Houstonian at the time, so I was not familiar with the street names. I am not sure what criteria that the FCC used in assigning call letters except that stations west of the Mississippi used K as a first letter and those east of the Mississippi used W as a first letter. The exceptions were grandfathered radio stations from before the 1930s. I know in some cases the call letters were based on the first letters of the business name of the company asking for the call sign assignment. One rule of the FCC was that no two station call signs could be the same.

Do any of you know the name of the building that KRBE was located in?

• 4 months later...
On 10/29/2016 at 10:37 AM, plumber2 said:

The top floor of the Gulf Building was only accessible by stairway, as the public elevators stopped on the floor below. Do you remember having to walk up the stairs?

I don't remember stairs, so you may be right that it was on the last floor reached by elevator.