Richmond/Rosenberg Historic Newspaper Ads

SpaceGhost

I recently checked out the Genealogy Department at George Memorial Library, which happens to be where they store all the old copies of Newspapers on Microfiche. I scanned some old ads most are from May of 1992 however I also grabbed a few from February of 1998. I'm going to have to upload them one by one due to file size restrictions. We start off with An ad for Bealls which is located in the same spot that Burkes Outlet is today. According to Wikipedia the change in names was due to another company called Bealls already holding a trademark in this part of Texas. We also have an ad for Cinema 8 which was at the time owned by Cinemark. It is noted as being in the "Randalls Shopping Center" which would later of course become the Kroger Shopping Center.

Bealls1_stitch.jpg

Cinemark Rosenberg.jpg

• Like 2

Bealls (Texas) used to be in Houston too, I believe they closed their stores by 1996. I think they only operate Palais Royal in Houston, Bealls in the rest of Texas, and Stage elsewhere, but all have pretty much the same offerings.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

On 6/11/2016 at 1:01 AM, SpaceGhost said:

Ended up putting them all on Flickr! Check them out!

Can't believe I didn't see this sooner! That's a good selection of ads from my youth as we got the Herald-Coaster at our home for years.

It's funny to think about how that Wal-Mart in Rosenberg on Herndon Drive was the standard type when I was growing up and when they started building their Super Center in 1994 or 1995, I couldn't imagine how it could compete given that there was a Super K Mart at 59 and 36, which I personally preferred. Of course, we know which one is still around.

I've stopped at the Wal-Mart in Blackwell, OK a few times over the years when I start driving down (or am driving back) from Texas since it's one of the few that is the "old style" version of the place. I think they even still have the snack counter and Icee machine on the north wall just like at the old Rosenberg store, but it's been somewhat updated with new paint and such. Still, it feels like a classic. Does pretty good business as well.

It's also weird to think about how we had a regular K Mart in town growing up. I remember the garden center but don't recall the automotive area. I think my mom might still have some of the thicker plastic bags from the Avenue H location from the late 80s or very early 90s that have "The Saving Place" logo on it. Similar to that old Wal-Mart I mentioned, I used to go to the K Mart locations that were hanging on here in Wichita just to poke around and get that sense of nostalgia. They're gone of course now. Miss that distinct K-Mart "smell", if that makes sense.

The Price-Lo ad was interesting - I didn't think of it as a warehouse store, but it definitely had lower prices than most of the other stores in town. I think there were several locations but I'm not sure where the others were. Before it was Price-Lo, it was Moore's, which was also a lower-cost grocer. My dad was someone who always was looking for a good deal so that was definitely his store. This store was most recently one of two Palais Royal locations in town for a while, but it has since been subdivided between a Melrose store and a DD's which I think has closed.

The Bealls became a Palais Royal before it moved to the Rose-Rich Shopping Center (which may or may not be it's name anymore). It was in the Plaza Shopping Center and I remember that was where we would go if we wanted to get "dress-up" clothes if we didn't want to go to Westwood or West Oaks Malls back in the day. Also made for a fun word game as there was a discount store named "Bill's" either next door or a few doors down, which I think was part of a chain and could lead to some minor confusion.  

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Richmond/Rosenberg Historic Newspaper Ads