Is A Semester Out Of The Country A Good Idea?

bachanon

Last year, I became guardian to my nephew who will be 15 next month. There are some programs that take kids to other countries for several weeks to an entire semester. I think he should travel while he is young and that it benefits education and a greater world view. I'm not sure how safe these programs are. Does anyone have experience with these type of programs?

I think 15 is a bit young, but I am a big fan of overseas trips and experiences as they can do wonders for changing one's world view.

A more popular way to travel is to take what the Brits (and others) call a gap year....sometimes a year off between high school and college, but more often a year off between college and the first year of work. Most of these gap years are done by people 18 to 22....and they are about as safe as anything else in this world. Traveling during this time period might be a greater benefit than traveling when you are 15....if only because you probably will be open to more experiences, ideally be more mature, and have a greater appreciation of what you are doing/seeing/experiencing. At least in theory, anyway.

You might want to also post a similar query on the message boards of Lonely Planet...perhaps the gap year branch. You might get some good responses there.

great idea. being new to parenting, i hadn't thought much about four years down the road. a trip after high school graduation could be an incentive as well as the benefits you mention. ayusa allows students as young as 14 for semesters abroad (as well as 2-4 week trips). i'm not completely comfortable with overseas travel at this age, alone. thanks for the tip on lonely planet.

great idea.  being new to parenting, i hadn't thought much about four years down the road.  a trip after high school graduation could be an incentive as well as the benefits you mention.  ayusa allows students as young as 14 for semesters abroad (as well as 2-4 week trips).  i'm not completely comfortable with overseas travel at this age, alone.  thanks for the tip on lonely planet.

I tend to agree that 15 is a bit young. I would assume at that age the cild will be chaparoned (sp) and will either love or hate the experience.

I for one hit Europe for 4 months the year after I graduated from college. I started my first job, hated it and decided to quit and travel. A buddy and I flew over to England and had an open ended return ticket. We got EuroRail passes and were able to travel freely around all of Europe. I was able to spend significant time in England, Spain, France, Holland, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Chech Republic, Hungary, Greece, Portugal and even made a trip into Morracco. It was a phenomonal experience and one I will probably never have again.

We spent 16 weeks abroad and I think the whole trip cost me $9000. This included airfare, trains, lodging, food, drinks, and other adventerous things. That equals about $80 a day. This was in 1995 so I am pretty sure it would cost more, but still affordable if you are willing to slum it most of the time.

17 is a good age for that kind of adventure. I did it through American Youth Hostels, a division of International Youth Hostel Federation. Me and a bunch of other people my age rode our bikes across Canada. It changed my outlook on life.

I think it's a great idea, but agree on the age issue. A little older would probably be better. I came very close to doing a term in Europe during college but it didn't happen; now I wish it had. My alma matter has since added a requirement for graduation that students have an international study experience in a foreign country for at least one term during their four years there. I would encourage your nephew to definitely partake of a semester abroad when he's a little older.

As for myself, I'll be making my first trip to Europe next week. This time a week from now I'll be in London! And my plan is for this to be just the first of many trips to that part of the world.

Archived