Hidden Cost Of Toll Roads

Hidden Costs of Toll Roads

An editorial by the Independence Institute, a free-market think tank that advocates toll roads, says, "A new traffic signal that hastens traffic flow produces economic benefits. Similarly, one that hinders more than hastens, cause economic damage."

Free-market think tanks also argue that toll roads benefit everyone because they reduce traffic on existing roads, causing traffic on existing roads to flow more efficiently.

It is therefore no small irony that local governments in Colorado have agreed to deliberately impede traffic on existing highways near a toll road in order to protect the toll roads' investors.

Read the rest here: unbossed.com blog link

And another: The newspaper.com

On another note, thenewspaper.com is an interesting blog to keep up with.

Free-market think tanks also argue that toll roads benefit everyone because they reduce traffic on existing roads, causing traffic on existing roads to flow more efficiently.

It is therefore no small irony that local governments in Colorado have agreed to deliberately impede traffic on existing highways near a toll road in order to protect the toll roads' investors.

Nothin' wrong with a toll road, in my opinion. I use them in Houston and I used them when I lived in DC. The prices are affordable to us, the benefits are significant, and it's an overall good for the area and its transportation problems.

I'm not excusing the sneaky things that the folks in Colorado are doing, but I just wanted to say that toll roads are a good thing in general, in my opinion.

Nothin' wrong with a toll road, in my opinion.  I use them in Houston and I used them when I lived in DC.  The prices are affordable to us, the benefits are significant, and it's an overall good for the area and its transportation problems.

I'm not excusing the sneaky things that the folks in Colorado are doing, but I just wanted to say that toll roads are a good thing in general, in my opinion.

I have no beef with toll roads in general--the Hardy is priceless in my drive from downtown to IAH. The issue is local government impeding the flow of traffic on 'free' roads to help developers and bondholders. That is a serious problem. We paid for the free roads, after all, just all upfront rather than by use.