Photos From Denver

OK, I took a bunch of photos in Denver today. Thought I'd share some of them.

Enjoy!

UnionStation.jpg

Denver's Union Station

KMGHTV.jpg

Denver's ABC affiliate, KMGH-TV on Speer Blvd & Lincoln. Notice the 100 degree temperature on their thermometer.

COCapitol1.jpg

Colorado's Gold Domed State Capitol

DenverBldgBird.jpg

The City and County of Denver Building. Notice the bird flying above it. I didn't know I caught in in the photo until I got home. This photo is facing west, so the Rocky Mountains are out there behind the building, but you can't see them in this photo. The Capitol is behind me to my east when taking this shot.

DTDenver1.jpg

Downtown Denver from near the State Capitol (from the South)

DTDenver2.jpg

Downtown Denver from near Coors Field (from the NorthWest)

DenverLibrary.jpg

The Main Denver Library building

Coors1.jpg

The main entrance to Coors Field, home of the Colorado Rockies.

CastleHouse.jpg

A castle-like mansion in the Cherry Creek district off Speer Boulevard, across from the Denver Country Club.

NOTE ADDED 8/7: Scroll down. I added 10 more pics today!

It all looks so.... clean.  And cartoony.

Clean...yeah, a lot of Denver is clean. But cartoony? What part looks like a cartoon? haha

I purposely didn't take pictures of the homeless folk sleeping under the trees around the Capitol area. They don't add much to the aesthetics of the place.

The Library building is a real mish mash of pieces. It is supposedly pretty avant garde, but I think it is just kind of strange.

Here are some more of my photos from yesterday:

ccm.jpg

Main entrance to Cherry Creek Mall. Although much, much smaller than The Galleria in Houston, CCM contains many upscale stores of a similar vein.

Piggly.jpg

Apparently Piggly Wiggly once operated in Denver. Here is an old warehouse with their name on the building.

ING.jpg

One corner of the ING Building diagonally across from the Denver Public Library.

ColoHistory.jpg

Colorado History Museum located directly across from the library.

Fox31.jpg

KDVR-TV Fox 31 Studios on Speer Boulevard.

OldBldg.jpg

An old building across from Union Station downtown. Look carefully in the second story windows and you may see people getting their hair styled in the salon located there.

SportsBars.jpg

Sports bars across from Coors Field

Razor.jpg

The "Electric Razor Building", called that because of its shape. This is located to the west of I-25 in Greenwood Village, a southern suburb. The electric wires are part of the TREX (TRansportation EXpansion) project to widen I-25 and extend light rail. They are to power the commuter trains.

Bridge.jpg

I think this is Denver's only trenched freeway, a stretch of I-25 south of Downtown. This is still being redone as part of TREX. I would compare it to the Southwest Freeway between Shepherd & Downtown Houston, although not trenched as deep. There are several identical new bridges like this one for Downing St. that connect the neighborhoods on both sides. Notice the narrower third passageway on the right. That is where light rail is going. Once construction is finished, this will be a nice stretch of highway.

Landrys.jpg

Just to make a Houston connection, here is Landry's Seafood Restaurant on the East side of I-25 south of the Denver Technological Center. I took this by pointing my camera out the window while driving, and am very surprised it came out.

Although it is along I-25, there are no feeders on Denver's freeways, so you have to exit before or after you get there and find the city streets that lead back to the other side of it, in this case, Clinton St. I wonder how this hurts businesses visible from the highway, but not easily accessible. The same situation exists, only worse, for Denver's only Pappas restaurant, Pappadeaux, located a couple of miles north of Landry's and on the west side of the highway.

• 3 months later...
And boring....

I grew up in a suburb of Houston and moved to Denver a little over three years ago. Denver is anything but boring. But if what you mean by boring is a clean city where people care about their surroundings, then I'll take it.

Unlike what you may think, though, the sidewalks are not rolled up at night. Many people live downtown and there is always something going on (art festivals, outdoor concerts, crazy people doing what they do best) every night of the week. The weather is condusive for going outside almost year-round, so there are always people walking up and down the 16th Street Pedestrian Mall which includes many restaurants, stores, clubs, bars, and entertainment venues like Lucky Strike Lanes and an AMC Theater. And like every other major city, Denver has its share of problems its working to resolve.

Anyway, I think you get the idea. Denver has one of the best downtowns I've seen. If you want to learn more about Denver, check out www.denverinfill.com or www.denver.org.

Archived