Ground Zero Slideshows

editor

Immediately following the destruction of the World Trade Center we created four slide shows of photographs taken at the scene in the first few days after it happened and put them on Glass Steel and Stone.

In January we took them off the web site to make room for other features. That disappointed a number of people. So, after getting a few dozen e-mails I have restored the slideshows. They can be viewed here:

World Trade Center Ground Zero Destruction Slideshows

I've stayed at the Millenium Hilton since it reopened, and it's one of my favorite NYC hotels. To see it today you'd never know it was in that condition a few years ago.

The picture of the tables and chairs in a restaurant looks like it could be that hotel's restaurant. I think the one with the big piece of artwork could also be from the hotel's lobby.

Most of the rooms overlook the WTC site and offer great views of the ongoing reconstruction and restoration in the neighborhood.

I'll never forget taking off out of the Newark airport in early November 2001, not even two months after 9/11, and flying over the site and being able to look down into it from several thousand feet above. It was still smoldering at that time.