City planning to remove driving lanes instead of widen on some streets

Well, sort of. Dunlavy was never really a four lane road, it is merely a two lane road with some extra ROW for parking or bypassing other cars. In fact, around H-E-B and the Susanne, it's two lanes with a left hand turn lane. I do know of a road in that other major Texas city that's not Austin or San Antonio that did something just like that. It technically connected two highways, but it was always heavily residential in some parts. They converted the extra wide ROW to a dedicated hybrid parking/bike lane. Assuming the car is on the curb properly, it still leaves plenty of room for cyclists.

To be honest, it all depends on the street itself, and Dunlavy is a good street to do that.

Indeed it is. However, I think the width of Dunlavy as it is, when properly striped, would still allow parked cars and bikes depending on the width. The street in Dallas I'm thinking of did encourage more bicyclists after it was restriped, even though on-street parking was still allowed.