Houston Motor Inn

I can't believe I found this board! I'm really hoping you guys can help me out on this one.

Does anybody remember the Houston Motor Inn? I am trying to find a picture, blueprints, a name, any and all information relating to this place. I only saw it once, very briefly. It was red and looked like something out of the Jetsons.

In 1999 I moved to Austin and my employer sent me to Houston for a week of training. On the way to a job site on an unknown freeway (I was not driving) we passed it and I really fell for the look and feel of the place. Passing it again on the way home I regretted that I did not have a camera nor the opportunity to stop and get one.

At that time it was very run down and obviously not in operation.

I'm most interested in photos and or drawings of the sign and office.

I used to think it was located on I-10 north of downtown, like you were going to Beaumont, but a couple of years later a google search came up with a listing with an address on North Freeway. Unfortunately, my calls to inquire if it was the same place, newly renovated and open for business, were treated like a prank call and I was hung up on every time I called. ??? A recent google search failed to even yield the North Freeway location.

Does the city of Houston or Harris County tax office have old records where I can find who owned this place? Maybe even a blueprint of the building in a zoning dept.?

Does anyone have any memories of this place they care to share?

Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Does anybody remember the Houston Motor Inn? I am trying to find a picture, blueprints, a name, any and all information relating to this place. I only saw it once, very briefly. It was red and looked like something out of the Jetsons.

In 1999 I moved to Austin and my employer sent me to Houston for a week of training. On the way to a job site on an unknown freeway (I was not driving) we passed it and I really fell for the look and feel of the place. Passing it again on the way home I regretted that I did not have a camera nor the opportunity to stop and get one.

I used to think it was located on I-10 east of downtown, like you were going to Beaumont, but a couple of years later a google search came up with a listing with an address on North Freeway. Unfortunately, my calls to inquire if it was the same place, newly renovated and open for business, were treated like a prank call and I was hung up on every time I called. ??? A recent google search failed to even yield the North Freeway location.

Ironicly, there is a Houston Motor Inn in Houston, British Columbia.

Does the city of Houston or Harris County tax office have old records where I can find who owned this place? Maybe even a blueprint of the building in a zoning dept.?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

The Houston Motor Inn was on 45 north going towards Dallas. I believe that is between Crosstimbers and Greens road. If you are going towards Dallas, it would have been on your left hand side of the freeway. I hope this helps you. I remember seeing it as a kid and thought of the 60s space age look. There was a motel demolished across from a fiesta on 45 north. How old were you when you last saw it? Or what year was it?

I used to think it was located on I-10 east of downtown, like you were going to Beaumont, but a couple of years later a google search came up with a listing with an address on North Freeway. Unfortunately, my calls to inquire if it was the same place, newly renovated and open for business, were treated like a prank call and I was hung up on every time I called. ??? A recent google search failed to even yield the North Freeway location.

Thanks.

Thanks.

You sound like you remember things in Houston from many years ago. Back in the 1960s there was a restaurant called "Uncle John's Pancakes." Does that ring a bell to you? I'm trying to find out about it.

You sound like you remember things in Houston from many years ago.  Back in the 1960s there was a restaurant called "Uncle John's Pancakes."  Does that ring a bell to you?  I'm trying to find out about it.

okay ashikaga...i found these on ebay.

ashtray

cup

Don't know if they are the same company.

Also seems like there is currently a chain of restaurants in Ohio by that name.

• The title was changed to Houston Motor Inn
  • The title was changed to Houston Motor Inn