Stona Gate/ Canyon Lakes Neighborhood

ags01

Hello!

My family has been looking at homes in Stone Gate/ Canyon lakes. Does this neighborhood have a good reputation ? Does anyone live there and like it? It seemd like a nice enough neighborhood now, but with so many neighborhoods like it, do you think it will maintain its value? I am concerned because it seems so close to 290.

My family noticed a lot of empty land surrounding the Barker-Cypress side of the development, does any one know what they might be putting up there?

Thanks!

These communities are nice, and are not too expensive(the homes usually go from the low 100s to around 300+, depending on the community), but, some of the lower priced offerings may seem...like something you'd see in seedier parts of Missourri City (stuff built by Gateway, KB, etc). Some of the higher end homes are nice, though. It sounds like a good choice, though.

The neighborhood is very safe and clean. It is nicely landscaped, although there is a lack of natural vegetation on that side of 290. I would definitely think about how far outside the city it is and how built up the 290 area is. Traffic on 290 is getting almost as bad as I-10 now with all the people moving out to Cypress. If you don't mind the longer waits in traffic and higher gas prices, assuming you'd be commuting into Houston on occassion, I'd say give it a try.

All the land west of Barker Cypress is currently owned or in transition to owned by Land Tejas. This is the developer that built Canyon Lakes @ Stonegate.

There are plans to develop the 4-5 thousand acres over the next 6-7 years.

All the land west of Barker Cypress is currently owned or in transition to owned by Land Tejas.  This is the developer that built Canyon Lakes @ Stonegate.

There are plans to develop the 4-5 thousand acres over the next 6-7 years.

Isn't this the same area where they're building that gargantuan 7 Bridges development, or whatever it was announced to be called?

• 2 years later...

I don't know much about this subdivision, but be wary of Westin Homes in Stone Gate. Check out this weblink of homeowner complaints. Scroll down until you see the post by 'Westin Home Buyers' on Dec 13, 2007. They have alot to share! Whether this indictment is an indication of the builder as a whole, or only in the Stone Gate community, I can't say.

Stone Gate is nice and offers a neat Links-style golfcourse. The largest portion of land off Barker Cypress that is undeveloped is going to be part of the Towne Lake development which will consists of upscale homes $250's to the $Millions, a 300 acre lake with boats and marinas, a waterfront and a retail/restaurant/corporate quasi-Downtown (in the portion that borders 290).

You may also really like the Fry Rd. Corridor. There's nothing much below the $250K price point and there's a great golf course in Blackhorse. Bridgeland is coming along very nicely and Cypress Creek Lakes and Cypress Creek Ranch are quite nice.

If you like wooded enclaves, some of the best neighborhoods in Cypress are located North of 290. Check out Coles Crossing, Longwood, Stable Gate, Lakes of Rosehill, Rock Creek, Lakewood Oaks Estates, Lakewood Glen, Northlake Forest, and a dozen others.

My Cypress Neighborhood Photos

I helped build 13 homes out there in the $250k-$300k range. Custom Homes, not KB or Westin. I think it is a very nice place, especially if you can get one on the golf course. If you can afford it, go for it. That area is still growing, although it looks like the female teachers are the only thing you have to worry about if you have teenage boys. ;)

Archived