Apartments Before IKEA/STØR

IronTiger

So I found something interesting in Google Earth: here's a 2004 shot of the most structures that appeared in the plot at one time: the new IKEA being built behind the original 1991 STØR/IKEA (demolished soonafter), the SteaKountry Buffet, and a strip of stores that was razed around 2007.

haif_ikeaclub.png

But in the 1980s shot (and 1978 shot), we have apartments in that spot. Yeah, I know they're only '70s garden apartments, but I still am curious to why there was absolutely no mention of it in any newspapers back then. Had Swamplot been around back then, it wouldn't have gone without a word--I mean, they covered Heights Plaza and Wilshire Village Apartments when they were demolished for new stores (Walmart and H-E-B respectively). Does anyone have any information about these?

haif_antoineapts.png

• 1 year later...

Checked with my older sister and she doesn't remember the name of the place. Kinda reminds me of the Ranch 99 at Blalock when that was an empty lot. Explored there with my brother. I remember him making perfect miniature bricks out of wet soil there.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't have much information other than my cousin lived there in one of the units closest to the frontage road. The entrance to their building was from Antoine. This was in the late 70's.

I am pretty sure those apartments were called " Brookwood Apartments"

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Apartments Before IKEA/STØR