Do you consider yourself a HAIFer? Why do you HAIF? How long have you been indulging in HAIF?

bachanon

Do you consider yourself a HAIFer?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you check HAIF every day for status of discussions or news?

2. 2. Do you find you often bring up HAIF in the course of conversations?

3. 3. Have you introduced friends, family, or coworkers to HAIF?

I like this thread, particularly because it reminds me that "online communities" can actually be real, not just be figments of trendoid writers' imaginations.

It occurs to me that we all share some some common interests, despite having different opinions on this or that topic.  Communities need to be able to do that in order to prosper.

I've been a member since 2008, but probably lurked earlier than that.  

• 2 weeks later...

Lurker before the crash, member since early '05.

I have always valued the different ways the site functions: as news source, as meeting place, and as time machine in many instances. I do mention it to friends and always encourage them to find out - especially the ones in my hometown who always tend to keep asking "how did you know _______ (random store/business/building) was coming". It's simple if you know where to look.

The only drawback to HAIF-ing (yes I use it as a verb, thanks) is doing it from afar. I recall during the last "boom" a few years back that my schedule allowed me to drive around town and take photos of all of the cranes and construction sites pretty regularly. Definitely remember going into the offices of a few development sites that ultimately went bust (Park8, Turnberry & Endeavour down in Pasadena, among others) and speaking w/ someone and picking up their public marketing materials, then sharing my "bounty" with the development geeks here. Not sure if I'd be so bold these days, but it was an interesting experience and I do have some "collectors items", I guess.

Always look forward to heading back on my annual trips home, not just to meet with family, but to also see all the things everyone is talking about here in person. Still have yet to take part in a meetup, but hope to do so at some point!

Been here for a few years.  Can't remember when.  Used to check daily, but honestly got turned off by some of the cliques that seemed to develop.  Hard to have a conversation when self proclaimed know-it-alls hijack the threads with their textbook quotes and dictionary definitions.  I consider myself a bit of a lurker now, checking in occasionally for that tidbit of real estate news that hasn't migrated to Swamplot.

Been here for a few years.  Can't remember when.  Used to check daily, but honestly got turned off by some of the cliques that seemed to develop.  Hard to have a conversation when self proclaimed know-it-alls hijack the threads with their textbook quotes and dictionary definitions.  I consider myself a bit of a lurker now, checking in occasionally for that tidbit of real estate news that hasn't migrated to Swamplot.

............hopefully things are better as of late.

Archived