A Store Called Holiday Plus

IronTiger

In looking for stuff on the late "hydroponic gardens" Fiesta and Auchan, I came across mention of "Holiday Plus", which I've heard about before but there's shockingly little about it online. It seems to have been mostly in and around Minneapolis but did have a location in Houston. Anyone know where/what it was?

(the article mentions it was there in Houston in the early 1990s)

• 2 weeks later...

So I've done a bit of research on Holiday Plus in the past. I've not been able to find ANYTHING on the Houston location though. From what I've been able to find the original stores where in Minneapolis and where eventually bought up by Cub Foods. Although I can't get a list of any surviving locations. I'm sure you've run across this sad "tidbit" of an article. I tried my hardest to get access there but was unable to do so. However if you're willing to write a Wikipedia article on the subject (or have a valid credit card number) this list of users might be able to help you out.

In the midst of digging through some old tapes for material to post on my YouTube channel, I found an ad for a group of stores circa 12/1989 that included Minimax, Lucky 7, Continental Finer Foods & a store called "Holiday Foods". Any chance it may be the one the OP is looking for or might it just be similarly named?

Actually got a PM about this subject (Dave W), didn't get posted on the main thread for some reason. Here it is:

I had no idea there was ever a Holiday Plus in Houston since I only get back for a visit about once every five years, but I've spent most of my adult life in Minneapolis so I can tell you about the company. Holiday Plus was owned by Erickson Petroleum Corp. which owns Holiday Stationstoreshttp://www.holidaystationstores.com/. Holiday Plus started out in the 60s as just Holiday, a big discount store with a full supermarket. By the mid 80s they were getting pounded by Target and Walmart so they took out the general merchandise, put in a full sporting goods department (along with the supermarket) and changed the name to Holiday Plus. My older son worked for them during this time. In the early 90s they separated the grocery and the sports into separate stores as Holiday Sports and Holiday Foods, and the Holiday Plus name went away. In 1996 Erickson/Holiday bought a large chunk of Gander Mountain, the Holiday Sports stores became Gander Mountain and Holiday Foods was sold off. Gander Mountain went private, and Holiday Stationstores is one of the two owners.

If there are any longtime employees at the Gander Mountain in Houston, they might know more about it. Hope this helps.

• 4 months later...
  • The title was changed to A Store Called Holiday Plus

Archived